xxiv - the cat's out of the bag

chapter twenty-four,     the cat's out of the bag

     COLM FAHEY HAD TWO CHILDREN: one with common sense and the other without. Now which one was which—it depended on the day. Or on the current season.

     Now, he was looking at his children and both of them had absolutely no common sense. One, as appears wasn't even enrolled in the University of Ketterdam as promised, and the other one was standing near him looking like death, without an eye.

     Was the man disappointed? Never. He just didn't expect to be almost killed in Ketterdam as he met his children and then dragged out into an island, sat in front of some sort of gang his children got involved to. What kind of gang was that, anyways? A pack full of children without heads and guns? And when he thought Jesper and Lavender were a handful...

     "Da..." Lavender started, but the man huffed out.

     "What happened to finding Jesper and finding a job as a medik in Ketterdam?" Colm asked.

     "You can blame him," she pointed with her thumb to the right where Jesper was standing.

     The tall guy slouched in disbelief and grimaced: "What?! Me? What am I to blame for?"

     "Did you enrol into the university?" She lifted her eyebrows.

     "Did you find a job as a medik?"

     "I am your medik," she extended her arms, ignoring the pain of aching ribs which were even worse after someone tried to assassinate them in the library of the University of Ketterdam.

      "You look like death, so much for medik—"

      Lavender gasped for air, looking like a fish before its death: "You volcra-looking piece of a—"

      "That's enough!" Colm's voice quickly put them both to silence, making them turn their attention to their father, who was clearly suffering from a migraine right now. After a beat of silence, the man cleared his throat, leaning back on his chair, looking at Kaz: "So what's going on? Tell me again, I can't—just tell me again."

     Kaz leaned slightly forwards, slightly moving his cane back and forth as he wasn't content with the current situation, but it did answer some questions he had. He was sure that Mister Fahey was sent here in order to get Jesper out of their hiding place—the whole shooting in the library only showed how bloodthirsty Van Eck got. What an imbecile...

     "You cannot leave this town. You will be watched. There are no issues about the loan as you thought, you have been sent here to lure those two out."

      "Are there any authorities? Someone who can solve this misunderstanding?"

      Lavender shook her head, "Not when the authorities are the ones after us."