xiii - scheming face

chapter thirteen,     scheming face

chapter thirteen, scheming face

     LAVENDER DIDN'T KNOW if she was alive or dead already. She only remembers how soldiers took her into another room, that looked like a display room with a huge window in front and left her there to bleed.

     She couldn't count how many wounds she had. Her legs, her back, her hands, her abdomen— her right eye bared nasty wounds. The drüskelle barely bandaged her eye wound so that she wouldn't bleed out, but it was a little chance she will survive. Still, she didn't say a name.

     Lavender averted her one eye to the window, where the commander stood tall and proud of himself, smirking at the wounded woman. Oh, how she wanted to rip that grin off his face.

     Soon, he pressed something and dark orange gas was released from the ceilings, making the woman's lungs get alerted and causing her to cough immediately.

     It was jurda parem.

     She pushed the sleeve over her nose as she kept on coughing, her head falling on the cold ground. She has seen what jurda parem did to those Squallers— they got addicted and eventually died from it. The drüskelle wanted her to behave, they wanted to control her and doing so was the smartest way.

Lavender knew she had to survive this and stay strong as much as she could even if death sounded so welcoming.

"My little flower, you are gonna do as you are told, alright?" Lily's voice was quiet but sweet as always, however, the look on her face told her that something was wrong. "Stay hidden where I told you and don't come out until I come to you. Under no circumstances get out of there— only when ma comes, alright?" Lily gave a brief smile to her terrified daughter.

Ever since the plague has risen, Kaz and Jordie didn't come back and it broke Lavender's heart. Lily was praying with Lavender to the Saints, or to whoever is out there that the boys would be alright and well. But Lily always heard Lavender cry upstairs during the night, the little one has lost her hope already.

Lily placed a soft kiss on Lavender's forehead and hurried her into the little closet that had many clothes in it and Lavender was able there to squeeze in and stay silent. She didn't question anything, she didn't even make a sound— she trusted her ma. She had to do whatever her ma said.

It was very dark and uncomfortable in the closet, but a little crack in it provided her with a hopeful source of light and a slight view to the kitchen, where she spotted her mother, grabbing something from the counter as the front door of the house suddenly opened.

"It's a nice place, isn't it?" The man's accent was thick, little Lavender could barely decipher what he was saying.

"What do you want?" Lily asked, her voice brave enough.