vi. - the sea is not for the sick

chapter six, the sea is not for the sick

     LAVENDER'S MOTHER HAD a huge heart. Once Kaz approached her daughter at the coffee shop, she accepted the boy as her own alongside Jordie. Many days Kaz and Jordie would spend at Lily's, Lavender mother's place and they would have a great time.

      Lily was an extraordinary woman— she lived with her daughter outside Ketterdam, just a few miles away, her house was always clean and smelled like chocolate muffins. But that wasn't the thing that interested Kaz, even if that house became his second home, it was Lavender.

      Kaz looked at Lavender as she was out of the world, they both talked about everything, walking near a pond on more sunny days, her blabbering about birds... Oh, how he enjoyed it when she spoke about birds.

      "Did you know that crows always remember the people that were nice to them?" Lavender asked as she was sitting on a little bench that was facing the calm pond, Kaz seated beside her.

      "Do they come back to see them?" Kaz implied as these conversations always interested him. He was always that kind of boy that was interested in everything, he would notice everything.

      "They do, but people just don't notice that they did," the little girl flashed him a smile, her dimples appearing and that view made Kaz smile, too.

      "Why do you like crows so much?" He asked.

       "They are free and they are very smart. My ma says both of these things are necessary for everyone," Lavender replied. "Will you come back to me as crows do?"

       "It's a silly question," he pointed out with a half-smile on his face.

       "Would you?" Lavender didn't back away. Her big green eyes were looking at his ocean ones, her cheeks crimson and painful from all the smiling. None of them knew that this childish love will bring so much pain.

The memory flashed through Kaz's head as he made his way to the belowdecks, coming into chaos. Nina was seated on the chair as she just finished treating Wylan and Jesper placed Inej on the table as Lavender placed her bags on the chair nearby and took out her stuff.

      Lavender was a real mirror image of her mother. She was her copy. The same red curly hair, the same smile, just different coloured eyes. The same big, caring heart.

      "Lavender, what do you need me to do?" Jesper asked, his hands stained with blood, panicking.

      "Go up and stay there. Nina will be able to help me, if what I will ask for you," Lavender replied in a rush, her trembling fingers running through different bottles.