iv. - the plan

chapter four,     the plan

     WYLAN WITH THE drüskelle, called Matthias Helvar, spent some time together talking about the Ice Court. The youngling tried its best to sketch everything the man said, including the mechanisms, entrances, guard posts, the protocols and everything he could remember.

     As Lavender found out, Nina Zenik was a Heartrender and she had some sort of past with Matthias since their stares across the rooms were making everyone uncomfortable. Since Nina was a soldier, her language skills were impressive and she was a very educated woman, that's why she informed them that we should get to Ice Court when the Hringkälla will occur. It's a ceremony where new drüskelle are initiated.

     "Visitors are vetted weeks before they arrive in the Ice Court. They are double-checked, Fjerdans aren't fools," Matthias implied that getting inside the Ice Court without suspicion was impossible.

"Not all of them at least," Nina replied freely.

     "Don't poke the bear, Nina," Kaz implied, "We need him friendly. When does it occur?"

     "It's seasonal," Nina replied, crossing her legs together, looking at Jesper, Lavender and Inej who were standing together, "on the spring equinox."

     "Two weeks from now," Inej said.

     Lavender bitterly gulped as all this talk was making her head dizzy. It was getting real, it was getting too real. "So we can't get the invitations," she exclaimed.

     Kaz turned his head slightly to the side, his forehead slightly furrowed, his eyes focused on something far away. He seemed contained and distant at the same time.

     "What's with that face?" Lavender whispered.

     "Scheming face," Jesper whispered back.

     "Definitely," Inej agreed.

     "Then we are not going through the embassy," Kaz finally replied, looking at Matthias and then at Nina. "What's the easiest way to steal a man's wallet?"

     Lavender wanted to ask what was going on with that stupid question, but others in the room didn't seem confused by it. They seemed to think about it deeply before Inej replied first: "Knife to the throat?"

     "Gun to the back?" Jesper implied.

     "Poison in his cup?" Nina suggested.