xxiii - zowa

chapter twenty-three,     zowa

chapter twenty-three, zowa

     "Okay, I must admit—did you really say that they should be more afraid of you than of Kaz?" Jesper was pacing from one corner to another as both Kaz and Lavender managed to come back while Inej managed to take a stroll on the roofs of Ketterdam to see the situation unravel.

     "Something like that, yeah," Lavender shrugged, back pressed against two pillows, trying not to move too much since she was horribly exhausted and the purple spots on her ribs made her take her time to sit calmly as soon as they came back.

     "The shots were absolutely badass! That—that's my sister," Jesper slightly jumped in place, walking over to her and sitting down beside her.

     A sudden voice appeared that made everyone in the room look in that direction: "What shots?"

     Lavender puckered her lips as she knew how much the Crow Club meant to Kaz and she wasn't really supposed to put four bullets in its ceiling.

     "Lavender's exit is the only thing people are talking about," Inej explained.

     "Were the shots necessary?" Kaz placed his gloved hands on the cane, giving Lavender the look.

     Averting her stare to the other direction, she hummed, "Yes, yes... I was a little bit too dramatic, but I got tackled by a guy twice my size, who punched me in the face – I needed to blow off some steam."

     "Shooting into the ceiling twice?" Kaz asked, quirking his eyebrow up.

     Oh, so he did know.

      Lavender felt like a child being scolded, "Don't give me this look," she glared at him. "What's more important: those four holes in the ceiling or me?"

     As Kaz was about to answer, she raised her hand and scoffed:

     "You know what? Don't answer that—we both know you will take some kruge from me when we get paid."

     "Collateral damage is damage after all," he smugly replied.

     "That's not very husband-like of you," she scoffed.

     Jesper snorted out a laugh and immediately shut up seeing Kaz's glare.

     "If you must know," Nina beamed from the other room, appearing in the entrance, "the only true love of Kaz Brekker is a big stack of kruge."

     "I'd say murder as well," Jesper snapped his fingers, pointing them at Nina.

     "Secrets should also make to that list," Inej twirled one of her little daggers between her fingers.

     "He knows too much," Matthias mumbled lowly behind Nina.

     Kaz looked at all of them blankly, "Do you have nothing better to do than discuss my love life?"