xi. - plan in motion

chapter eleven,     plan in motion

chapter eleven, plan in motion

REACHING DJERHOLM WAS pleasant since they all craved some warm food and they could finally get out of these wool coats and layers of clothes. However, that one day that they spent in the inn was meant not for relaxing, but for putting all of the pieces of the puzzle back together.

During that day, Nina hid tattoos— the Dregs tattoo and her own Pleasure House tattoo that no one would know that the Ketterdam gang is involved in any of this. Lavender made some sleeping solutions that will be used on the seven prisoners that they will swap themselves with. Jesper and Matthias both worked on watching the guards and how often they pass through the road and now it was time to get to the action.

All of them were positioned on top of a hill that uncovered a view of the road that wagon with prisoners should show up. Matthias just finished chopping down a tree that blocked the road and now he was kneeling on the snow, saying a blessing for what he did. Apparently, trees were sacred to Fjerdans, sacred to their God— Djel.

Jesper was on the other side of the road, watching the perimeter if no one else was coming or they won't end up in a trap. As soon as the wagon showed up on the road, everyone shut silent, gulping bitterly as they watched how to wagon stopped.

It just got real and probably none of them could understand that they were actually doing it. Once they will be shacked in that wagon, there will be no way out. Lavender wondered if she was the only one who wanted to turn away and run for her life.

Two guards from the wagon stepped out and looked at the fallen tree, looking at it like idiots, hoping that it moves away by itself. One of the guards sneezed, wiping its nose and the other stretched his hands up, releasing a sigh.

"How lazy are they?" Kaz mumbled, watching those two idiots finally move to the tree. That was Kaz's cue. Before that he counted that they will have around fifteen minutes to get inside of the wagon.

Kaz slowly got down the hill and moved to the back wagon door as Inej with Matthias followed him. Two glossy lockpicks sparkled from Kaz's sleeves as he started working on removing the hinges of the door, trying to remove it that way.

Wylan was positioned with Lavender and Nina on the hill and she could hear how much Wylan was scared and she couldn't blame him. She was terrified herself. "Do you think we will make it?" The kid silently asked, watching how Kaz took out the door, holding the hinges in his hands.

"If it will make you feel better, kid, yes, we will," Lavender replied as it was her own cue to go down the hill alongside Nina and Wylan. All of them made it to the wagon as Matthias and Inej got seven prisoners out that started to whisper amongst each other what was going on.

"Tig!" Matthias exclaimed and the prisoners quickly shut their mouths, sending shivers through everyone's back. Whenever Matthias would speak Fjerdan, he would be a lot like drüskelle and every one of them would feel unbelievably uncomfortable. Matthias was intimidating.