Chapter 19

The possibility of losing you made Chifuyu's chest hurt so much that be had to lean forward while he was kneeling, holding himself up with the help of his hands, watching as you slowly sank to the floor, burying your face in your hands.

He heard as some of the people ran downstairs, so when the ambulance and the firefighters arrive, they could tell them where to go. But he didn't think the elevator will hold until they get there.

"Maybe try from one floor below?!" Ian suggested and Chifuyu's eyes widened.

Of course.

"Y/N, I'm gonna get you out!" he said as he quickly stood up and sprinted down the stairs to the fourth floor.

Some of the people followed him, including the teenage boy, and some of them stayed, talking to you, to give you some hope.

Chifuyu and the boy grabbed each side of the doors and pulled them open. The elevator was stuck between the two floors, so now you were higher than Chifuyu. The bottom of the elevator was about 5 feet higher than the floor Chifuyu was standing at.

"Y/N, I'm here." Chifuyu said as he reached his hands inside towards you.

You were panting heavily, trying to slow down your heart, but it was beating so hard and fast that your chest started to hurt. You slowly got on your knees and carefully crawled to the doors, afraid that if you move faster, the lift would drop.

"Just like that, baby, come on." Chifuyu said and he got on his tiptoes so he could reach even further.

Finally his hands reached yours, and he grabbed your wrists. He pulled your arms around his neck and when he heard that the elevator started screeching again, he wrapped his arms around your torso and quickly pulled you out, just when it dropped a few inches again.

A whimper left your mouth when you heard that and you squeezed your arms around Chifuyu harder.

"It's okay, I got you!" he said as he was holding you bridal style and he hugged you stronger. "You're out, I got you." he said as he turned his head and buried his face in your hair, while you were pressing your cheek against his neck.

He felt that you were shaking terribly and it sounded like you were having trouble breathing. He got on his knees and carefully put you on the floor. He unwrapped your arms from his neck and pulled away a little to look at you.

You were still crying and when your arms were free you put one of your hands on your chest, panting heavily.

"Y/N, what's wrong?" Chifuyu asked worriedly.

"She's having a panic attack." Ian answered as he limped towards you.

Chifuyu's heart dropped in his stomach, as he watched you. You looked so small and fragile, he wanted to help you, just didn't know how. He cupped your face in his hands and gently lifted your head to make you look at him. He saw as tears were running down on your cheeks freely and you were gasping for air.

"I taught her a technique how she can overcome it, but she doesn't have her watch. Put her hand on your chest." Ian instructed.

Chifuyu looked up at him, with confusion.

"Put her hand above your heart."

Chifuyu gently grabbed your hand and put it there. He saw as you closed your eyes, like you were trying to concentrate.

"Take deep breaths, show her how to do it."

Chifuyu let his lungs fill with air, kept it in for a second, then he slowly let it out, while he watched you. He was keeping his hand on yours, which was on his chest.

You concentrated on Chifuyu's heartbeat, but it was beating much faster than how your watch was ticking. You frowned a little, finding it hard to get your breathing syncronized with that.

Then you felt as his chest rose slowly, then after a second it fall with the same rhythm. You tried to keep your focus on his breathing, and mimic it.

You took a deep but shaky breath in when he was, and let it out when you felt him did it too. After a few minutes you felt under your hand how the beating of his heart started to slow down, and you started concentrating on that.

Ian told you that it was important to distract your mind from the negative thoughts, like now you have to forget how afraid you were of the possibility of dying. It was important to focus on something else, for example the ticking of the clock not only helped you timing your breathing, but while your mind was focusing on the counting, the negative thoughts slowly drifted away.

Chifuyu's heart slowed down to a steady and firm beating, and you counted them, now timing your breathing to that.

After a few minutes Chifuyu saw that it was easier for you to breath, and while you were still shaking it wasn't as bad as before.

The sirens of the ambulance, firefighters and police grew louder and Chifuyu heard as their footsteps approached.

He refused to let you go when the paramedic knelt down on the other side of you.

"Sir, you have to let me examine her." he reasoned.

Chifuyu was looking at your face the whole time, squeezing your hand which was on his chest.

"It's okay, Chifuyu, she's good now." Ian said as he put his hand on his shoulder and pulled on it.

Chifuyu slowly let you go and he stood up, still watching you. He let Ian pull him a few steps back, to give you space.

Your eyes were closed, but when you felt Chifuyu's warmth disappearing, you opened them, searching for him. When your gazes met, you saw the worry in his eyes.

You wanted to go back to him, to feel his warmth, and his strong arms around you, but you were too exhausted to do or say anything.

You looked at him with hooded eyes and Chifuyu saw how you mouthed 'thank you' to him.

Ian informed the man what happened and that you had a panic attack during the accident.

Chifuyu couldn't stop himself, he stepped next to you again and crouched down, holding your hand in his.

"Sir, we have to take her to the hospital, for further examination."

"Can I go with her?" Chifuyu asked, finally looking up at the man.

"Are you a relative?"

Chifuyu looked down at you again. He smoothed your hair fondly and answered.

"I'm her boyfriend."

He saw as a small smile raised to your lips, and he smiled too, lifting your hand up, kissing the back of it.