3

Wei Wuxian read the paper on his hand carefully for the third time, and yet he still did not understand the content. According to the paper, he borrowed a lump sum of money from a renowned loan shark, Su Minshan, around three months ago. 

Three months ago he was swamped with overflowing work, he remembered because his assistant was complaining of being worked like a horse, and that's why he asked Mianmian to ease up their workload, which she grudgingly complied with. So it didn't make sense if he had to borrow money from the notorious loan shark of all people.

He kneaded his head in frustration, and tried to call Mianmian once again, and it still did not come through. It even said that the number had been disconnected. 

God it was so frustrating. Thankfully he didn't have any job for this week. 

On second thought, he double checked his work calendar on his phone. 

Yep, nothing for this week.

And next week.

And the week after.

In fact he checked his monthly and yearly calendar, and there was nothing in it, not even a lousy house-call from his usual client.

He stood up and went to his private office at the back to check his laptop, but when he entered the office, it's empty. No laptop, no appointment books, no recipe books, no client list, everything was gone.

His heart started to beat faster, as he turned around and entered his bedroom and checked the closet.

Mianmian's clothes were gone. So did her toiletries, her shoes, her bags, and even her stupid fur carpet that she used to take pictures of her new bags with. 

The bedside table where she put their engagement photo was also empty sans the photo. Not even a trace of her cheesy romance books.

Holy hell, what was going on?

The next logical step was for him to check his bank book, but he couldn't find it anywhere, so he decided to go to the nearest branch where he often did cash transactions and asked for the statements.

Wei Wuxian entered the bank just right before lunch rush hour, and he was ushered to the manager's office and was greeted by the manager himself, Manager Meng. He always did the transaction for Wei Wuxian, so they knew each other briefly. As he sat in front of the manager, his hands were cold and he got this bad feeling creeping up in his spine.

"Mr. Wei, how can I help you today?" The manager smiled at him, although his smile kinda looked different than usual, even his polite greeting did not exude warmth like it usually did. "Have you changed your mind and decided to trust us with your money again? 

Wei Wuxian could detect some kind of a hurt feeling inside those carefully spoken words, and he had a sudden flash of understanding. But he had to make sure.

"What do you mean again?" He hoped his voice did not shake as bad as his hands. "I'm here to ask for your help to check for my accounts, since I had difficulties accessing them since yesterday. And the bank books were gone too. Was Ms. Luo here yesterday?"

The manager looked at Wei Wuxian like he was some kind of a mad man, but he answered his question carefully, and politely.

"Mr. Wei, yesterday Ms. Luo withdrew everything from your joint account, your work account, and your personal account. She told me that you were not satisfied with our service, and decided to change banks. She also closed your safety deposit box, and cleaned it up." The manager's eyes looked at Wei Wuxian in doubt. For his sanity perhaps.

"What about the other stuff? The… investment, CD, everything else?"

"She closed everything, Mr. Wei." The manager seemed to realize something since his expression became softer and not quite as hard as before. "Do you want to have a cup of tea? Or coffee maybe?" He offered Wei Wuxian, who didn't look too good, a drink and refreshment. But Wei Wuxian declined. He had to find Mianmian and asked her what was the meaning of this. 

Then he remembered the loan shark. 

They would come back tonight, and he had no money at all. So he asked the manager about loaning him some money with his house as collateral, but when the manager checked the records, he shook his head in pity.

"I'm sorry Mr. Wei, the house you mentioned was already on its second mortgage, and you're due for payment at the end of the month."

Second mortgage? He bought the house with cash, and it was free and clear from any debts. What second mortgage? 

But Wei Wuxian was not a stupid man, as the realization started to dawn on him. 

He was being conned by his own fiance. 

And everything he worked hard for the last five years was gone like smoke.

Just like that.