29

Lan Wangji ran to the gym, and it caused the employees to look at him. They were confused because they never saw their always cold and composed boss act out of character like that. When he arrived at the gym, he looked around and found Luo Binghe was doing some warm up at the corner and he approached him right away.

"Binghe, where is he?" Lan Wangji grabbed Luo Binghe's arm and tried to control himself while appearing nonchalant. 

Luo Binghe–who just found out this morning when Wei Wuxian appeared at the gym and gave him a letter to give Lan Wangji if he asked for it, if not, he could just throw it away–took the letter from his bag and gave it to Lan Wangji, who grab it and tear open the envelope.

I'm sorry, I can't do this. 
Not when I couldn't stand tall beside you and be your equal.
Not when I lose myself when I'm with you.
Not when you don't see me as I am.

Please let me go, Lan Zhan.

W.Y

Lan Wangji read and reread the letter many times, and he didn't understand. Why would he lose himself? He could give him everything that he wanted and more, he just needed him to be there for him. And what did he mean by not seeing him as he was? He didn't understand.

"Why?" He asked no one, but Luo Binghe heard him.

"Xianxian is a very proud man." He sighed. He didn't want to interfere, but the look on Lan Wangji's face reminded him of a lost puppy, and he couldn't stand his boss looking like that without knowing why. He should at least tell him the reason why Wei Wuxian felt the need to run away.

 "He told us that you… treated him like he was some kind of a kept man, and he didn't like it. Not when he was not on the same standing with you, because that's what he would always be in your eyes. A kept man. And when he heard that you… paid for the lawyer and his expenses, and that you gave him a black card to shop, and the money… well, if he just accepted everything, would you still respect him? What's the difference between him and the other gold diggers who always tried to kiss your ass then? He knew that many people wanted you, and you have all the choices. Today you said you love him. What about tomorrow? What about five years from now? Ten? Twenty? What's the difference between you and his ex fiance? It's worse because he loves you."

Luo Binghe recalled the look on Wei Wuxian's face when he gave him the letter and said his goodbye with reddened eyes, as he tried to get to the matter without being impolite. And it seemed that Lan Wangji had started to understand the fault that he made. He treated Wei Wuxian like he treated his pets, toys, fuck buddies, and so on. If he truly loved him, he should respect Wei Wuxian more. Maybe if he listened to him, or tried to understand his psyche, especially after his experience with his ex. Maybe…

"Where is he now?" He asked Luo Binghe.

"I don't know. I swear. He just gave me the letter and left without saying anything else."

Lan Wangji turned around and he went back to Hua Cheng's office, where he found him waiting there.

"I've mobilized He Xuan to find him. Don't worry, we'll find him soon." Hua Cheng observed Lan Wangji's pale face and took his arm and sat him on the couch.

"Hey, hey are you okay? Did Binghe tell you anything?"

"Yeah, he told me that I'm basically an asshole who didn't treat his best friend well. Well, in a more polite way of course. But the point is, he's correct. I didn't treat the best thing that ever happened in my life like he was supposed to be treated. With respect. I just got used to the vultures that I've been with, that they only want my money, my status, without seeing me as I am. And now I did the same to him."

"Well, it's good that you know it. So, what are you going to do about it?"

"I don't know." Lan Wangji buried his face in his hands. "I don't know, Hua Cheng, I've never been in this kind of a situation like this before, where I don't hold all the reins."

"You know that you should talk to him instead of running away like this." Shen Qingqiu put the bottle of beer in front of Wei Wuxian, who was very quiet. He packed his stuff and moved out of Lan Wangji's apartment with a heavy heart, but he had to do it. He didn't want to be just another notch in Lan Wangji's bedpost, and by the way things went on, it wouldn't be too long before that man got bored of him and got rid of him for good. He didn't want that. He'd rather be hurt now before he fell head over heels over Lan Wangji, which wouldn't take long since he was heading there faster than he ever did.

"I don't know how to talk to him." He downed his beer and sighed. "All he did was fucking me, coddled me, showered me with gifts, money, like I'm some kind of a doll. Every time I tried to talk seriously, he just dismissed me politely and started to fuck me. How could I speak to him? And we're not even officially going out, only fucking, like I told you before."

"Ugh, that bastard." Shen Qingqiu sympathized with Wei Wuxian. "Although I wonder, with the amount of fucking you receive in this three months, should be a lot more than the five year you're with the bitch?" He tried to lighten the mood when Wei Wuxian smiled. His first after he came to his house this morning.

"Well, I admit, the sex were so mindblowing, I could never refuse him. He got this thing with his tongue and finger…"

"Lalalalala stop! Too much information! I don't want to picture you and him naked and going hanky panky in my dream!" Shen Qingqiu covered his ears with both of his hands and Wei Wuxian finally laughed.

"Thanks, Qiuqiu." 

Wei Wuxian knew that his best friend was trying to cheer him up, and he felt considerably better. He knew that he was feeling low, and he had a lot of things to do after he ended things with Lan Wangji rather abruptly. He didn't want to, he just wanted to be coddled and pampered and treated like Lan Wangji treated him, but he knew it would not last. He needed to contribute something in the relationship if he wanted to have an equal partnership with Lan Wangji. He also knew marriage was out of the question, but he would be satisfied with whatever he was willing to give him. This was only going to happen if he carried some weight in the relationship instead of being a leecher like Lan Wangji's previous so-called relationships where he thought he could do anything he wanted as long as he was the one who wore the pants. That was the real reason why he left. He had to establish himself first before he could stand proud and tall before Lan Wangji and asked him to be his boyfriend, his partner, his equal.

"You know, I get why you're doing this, Xianxian. Really, I do." Shen Qingqiu's eyes softened as he gave Wei Wuxian a hug. "But at least give the man a proper explanation instead of a cryptic message. He ain't Sherlock Holmes, you know."

"What cryptic message? It's loud and clear, that I need some space before I could stand by his side."

Shen Qingqiu looked at him incredulously.

"Well, excuse my French, but your fucking cryptic message sounded like you want to break up with him. Please let me go, Lan Zhan? I just hope you know what you're doing. That kind of big fish doesn't come often, or easily, you know?"

"If it's meant to be, then it's meant to be. Que será, será."