The Fight

The three mercenaries remained down the hall. Angel cocked her gun and pointed it at each man, her hand steady as a rock. My own gun laid on the floor by my feet. I kept my head low and grabbed the sides of my head, trying to block it all out.

"Enough of this bullshit, kid." One of the mercenaries said.

"Do it then. Pull the trigger." Angel replied.

I could hear the smirk in her voice. My head snapped back up to look at her.

"Are you insane?" I sputtered.

Click.

I furrowed my brow at the sound and stared at the men down the hall. The mercenary pulled the trigger a second time.

Click... click, click, click.

Each man pulled the trigger of their guns over and over to no avail. I watched in bewilderment then turned back to Angel.

"What did you do?" I asked.

Angel's pearly white teeth shone in the flickering lights as she smiled at me.

"I can play ugly too, you know?"

"Fuck!" One of the men growled.

I scrambled to grab the shotgun at my feet. The three mercenaries stared at me fearfully as I cocked the gun, a shell spitting out and rolling away down the hall.

"Outta the way." I warned.

They didn't budge.

"Did you not hear them? Move or we'll shoot!" Angel shouted.

Soon the mercs scuttled out of the way, letting us storm down the hall and up the stairs.

"We just gonna leave them there?" I asked the younger girl.

"I took their bullets. They can't hurt us, or him." She answered.

I didn't reply and simply followed her up the stairs, holding the shotgun close to my chest. We found ourselves on the third floor, Angel stepped off the staircase first with me quickly following.

"So, how old are you exactly?" I broke the silence.

"I'm sixteen." Angel answered.

"Huh... and how exactly did you get into this mess? I thought this was just me and Danny's hell." I said.

The teenager stopped walking and turned to look at me.

"Danny, he... he's—like a father to me." Angel sighed.

I nodded slightly, looking around the withered hallway of the third floor.

"I see. I wonder why he never said anything about you." I pondered.

"I... I was meant to be kept a secret. Like other things... but I just—I had to butt in when I found out how bad things have gotten." Angel explained, not meeting my eyes.

"Secret? Butt in? What do you mean? Butt into this?" I questioned.

"Yes, of course! You got kidnapped." She exclaimed.

I stared at her confusingly, some sort of anger beginning to nip at me. I opened my mouth to argue back.

"I don't understand—!"

"No! You don't understand." Angel interrupted angrily.

My eyes widened at her outburst. She seemed upset. I didn't know why.

"Angel, I—I'm sorry. I just need to know what's going on."

Footsteps in the distance plodded closer. Angel gave me a levelled stare with an overwhelming amount of softness in her dark eyes.