Melancholy

As Shadowmoth continued akumatizing random civilians normally, he noticed two things. One, that Ladybug and Chat Noir were looking more dull than usual, and two, they both had drifted apart.

This was because the two of them never did sort out their last argument. Instead of laughing and talking like they used to, they worked professionally and as if they were mere acquaintances. But it wore them down deep inside.

Shadowmoth found this to work completely in his favor. He wanted to bring conflict to the both of them and this scenario was perfect. So he approached Lila and asked her about it.

"Was this your doing all along? "

Lila grinned. "Of course it was. "

"This didn't require a big plan, did it? "

Lila rolled her eyes discreetly. "Sometimes, the big things don't require big plans. It's often the simple things that work out. "

Gabriel was still left unconvinced. "And how exactly is this helping us succeed?"

Lila sighed. "At times, we do not have to interfere. Ladybug and Chat Noir will blow up without our interference."

Gabriel nodded. "Perhaps you are right. You are one cunning individual, Miss Rossi. "

She turned with a malicious glint in her eyes. "Why, thank you. "

"But when to strike? "

Lila hummed to herself, thinking. "I was thinking, however, to akumatize one special individual before all of this."

"And who may it be?"

"Marinette."

--

To continue with her well thought-out plan, Lila had to upset Marinette. And she told Gabriel how exactly she was going to do it, with him agreeing to it. For her plan, she couldn't go to school.

"I wonder where's Lila?" Marinette asked at school, wondering why she wasn't there.

Alya sighed. "Why are you worrying about her? Marinette, you're too nice."

"I'm not worrying, it's just that... it's weird that she's not here."

Nino turned in his seat. "Don't worry about her, dudette. She's not worth your time."

Adrien nodded. "Yeah. She definitely isn't."

Marinette smiled. "Thanks guys." She stood up. "Miss Bustier? May I go to the bathroom?"

Miss Bustier nodded. "You may, Marinette."

She walked out of the classroom. After she was done with the bathroom, she bumped into someone. It was indeed Adrien.

She frowned, confused. "Adrien?"

Adrien shuffled, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly. "Can I tell you something, Marinette?"

She nodded. "Y-yes?"

"But in a more private space." He tugged her toward a nearby bench. It was the same bench where he had once confessed to her about his feelings for Kagami. Marinette longed for that moment again, except for this time to be him confessing to her.

She looked up at him hesitantly. "W-what did you want to tell me, A-Adrien?" she asked, blushing.

Adrien suddenly whipped up and glared at her. "I don't want to be your friend."

Marinette was astounded. She was sure she had heard him wrong. "What?"

Adrien sighed. "You're not a great friend, Marinette! You're awful, actually. I despise you!"