Chapter 2 - Troll in the Dungeon

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy!
—————————————————————

Severus managed to control his instincts by reminding himself of the hours that he and Lily would be able to share in private once the children were in bed.

After his twins had finished their dinner, Severus helped Lily to her feet, and took the two older babies from her.

She cradled the littlest one in his arm and let Albus hold her other hand while they followed Severus out of the room and down the stairs.

"Sister! Sister!" Albus cried out excitedly as soon as he saw Harriet.

Lily laughed as he let go of her hand and raced over hurriedly to proudly present his older sibling with the picture that he had spent the better part of the afternoon drawing for her.

Harriet took the picture from her younger brother with a smile and she kept it in her lap as the Snape family shared their evening meal together a few moments later.

Lily cradled her youngest son while she ate.

The twins sat in matching high chairs as they both cooed fondly at their father, excited to see him again after his absence during the day.

Albus and Severus were quiet as Lily looked at her only daughter with a smile and asked her, "Did you have a good week at school, darling?"

"I suppose." Harriet replied while she picked at her food.

Harriet had only been a Hogwarts student for a little over two months.

Lily had been very proud when her eldest child had been sorted into Gryfinndor, but Severus had seemed to lament the fact that Harriet hadn't been placed into Slytherin.

He held out a silent hope that his sons' placements may be different when they entered Hogwarts one day.....

It was halfway through October and so far, Severus had noticed that Harriet had succeeded in making enemies nearly as well as she had in making friends.

"Ron and Hermione.......you know, and me, of course, are all working on a group project for herbology." Harriet told her family.

Severus and Albus blinked at her while Lily smiled, "Oh, that's exciting, sweetheart! Your father told me how well you're doing in potions. We're very proud of you!"

"I'd do even better if we had less group projects in potions, Dad." Harriet told Severus with a frown.

Severus read the look on Harriet's face and he clearly understood that she was referencing the trouble that her assigned partner had given her a few hours ago.

"Group projects in my classes aren't common." Severus replied stoically. He narrowed his eyes at his daughter as he replied, "However, if Mr. Malfoy continues to give you trouble, I'll have to write a letter to his father. I expect that he's most likely still angry with you for refusing his friendship."

"Ron was the first person who was kind to me on the train and Malfoy insulted him because his family isn't wealthy!" Harriet insisted with her green eyes narrowed, "How am I supposed to be friends with someone like that, Dad?"

"I wasn't suggesting that you should." Severus replied with a shrug, "Merely that your refusal offended him. Keep to your own affairs and he'll likely move on once his battered ego recovers."

Albus watched his sister closely as she frowned down at her plate and finished her food.

Lily looked over at Severus but before anyone could say anything else, the baby in Lily's arms began to wail.