Chapter Twelve: History

In History of Magic class, Professor McGonagall was supervising as many students were shaken from last night. Professor Binns told us about the founders of Hogwarts. Rowena Ravenclaw, Godric Gryffindor, and Helga Hufflepuff refused the advice of Salazar Slytherin. He wanted only pureblood witches and wizards to attend Hogwarts. I looked down and Draco nudged me. He knew I wasn't a pureblood after the ministry revealed my true identity. It didn't bother him but it still bothered me. I gave him a weak smile and we listened to the professor.

          As the school accepted all students, regardless of being pure blood, half blood, or muggle-born, it caused a drift between the three founders and Salazar. When the rift grew too large, he left the school. Before he left, he built a chamber that only his heir could open. That chamber became known as the Chamber of Secrets. Professor McGonagall stepped in when the classroom became anxious. She assured us that the castle has been searched over the centuries and no such chamber exists. It was said to be the home of a monster. Harry and Ron looked at Draco and he smirked at them.

          I stayed by Draco's side during November and we had our match coming up. We would be playing against Gryffindor and Marcus trained us hard. Draco and I would work on homework together in the library and I was reading about Salazar Slytherin. He not only wanted to refuse muggle-born students, he absolutely hated them for existing. The monster he left in the Chamber was meant to purge the school of muggle-born students. The heir of Slytherin was the only one that could open the chamber and control the monster. I was uncomfortable coming across the fact that Salazar was also a parseltongue like me. Looking at my robes, I felt my stomach flip. It couldn't be me. Harry could hear the voice too. Even in the magic world, it wasn't normal to be hearing voices. If I was a parseltongue, was Harry also one? Were our parents? It was said to be uncommon in our world.

          Draco and I made our way back to our common room after finishing our homework. Ibis flew to us when we were by one of the courtyards and he had an envelope for Draco. I sat on one of the stone walls while Draco leaned against the column beside me. He was so happy and hugged me once he finished reading.

          "Oh, Ive! Father is going to come to the Quidditch match to watch us play!" he exclaimed.

          "That's wonderful news, Draco!" I said.

          We finally made our way back to the common room and put away our school work. Dinner was very noisy with excitement for the upcoming match. Salem brought me an envelope from Terence. He said he would be coming to see the team play against Gryffindor. After dinner, Draco hugged me goodnight and I fell asleep in my bed with Salem.