44. take it off

friday,
november 26th, 2020

LUKE HEMMINGS

Ezra giggles adorably as I swiftly scoop her up into my arms. One of my arms rests underneath her knees, the other slung around her back and she wraps hers around my shoulders like before. I gesture to my notebook and she picks it up for me.

"What's in this thing anyway?" she asks, picking harmlessly at the edges as I flick the lights off with my shoulder.

"Nothing special," I reply vaguely, carrying her out of the north eastern building.

"That can't be true," Ezra points out as I stroll down the gravel walkway with the prettiest girl in my arms, "You're always writing in here. You're a great writer. Can I see?"

"No," I reply, almost too quickly. I swallow nervously, watching as her hands freeze around my journal. "No... just... really, it's nothing important. Just random things."

"Oh," she mumbles, avoiding eye contact.

We reach my car and I set her down on her feet. She wobbles, muttering something incoherent as she grabs on to my biceps to steady herself. I open the car door for her, helping her in and taking my journal from her. She pouts but I simply grin, pressing an open-mouthed kiss on her lips. She soon smiles instead and I toss the leather book in the backseat.

Clambering into the driver's seat, I switch on the heat knowing how cold Ezra always gets. I start up the car, allowing the CD to play.

It's Hozier's first album. Ever since one of our first car rides together when we listened to it, I haven't had it in me to take it out.

"I love this song," she whispers hazily and when I look at her she has a blissful expression on her face.

"I know you do," I reply quietly, driving out of the parking lot.

Cherry Wine trickles through the speakers of my car, making my heart swell considering it's the first song Ezra and I bonded over.

"Everything is spinning," Ezra hums lazily and I bite back a chuckle, flicking my head over to look at her.

Her head is pressed against the car window, a hand on the other side of her face and she's curled up into a ball in the leather seat. I smile at the state of her, wondering what she even consumed.

Nevertheless, I elicit a husky laugh, "'S'what happens when you drown yourself in alcohol," I tease, cruising down Chandler's Avenue.

"Everything is spinning," she repeats, staring at me as I pull up outside her accommodation, "Everything except you. You're perfect."

Her words surprise me a little, but I can't help but smile at them. Shaking my head, I say, "I'm not perfect, angel. Now c'mon, let me help you up to your flat."

Ezra pouts again, the action tempting me but I hop out of my car and head for her door instead. When I open it, the petite brunette that I've inevitably fallen for nearly tumbles out of her seat. Quickly, I secure my arms around her as she laughs uncontrollably against my chest. I scoff out a chuckle, unbuckling her seatbelt and helping her to her feet.

Her lips jut out as she grabs my forearms and I'm smiling harder than I ever knew possible, just looking at her and basking in the way my heart stutters for her.