54. lovestruck

monday,
december 13th, 2020

EZRA GREYSTONE

"I'm sure the boys have valid explanations," Lola mumbles after I've told her every detail of the past few days, fair brows tugged inwards in utter confusion.

I shrug, avoiding her gaze as I scrutinise the Christmas decor section in Home Sense, "I'd hope so. I still need to give them their chance to explain, I just feel so exhausted from these last few days that I haven't gotten around to that yet."

Lo sighs, plucking a chubby looking Santa statue from the shelf, "I'm just so lost. Did Milo know too?" she questions, delicately placing the figurine in her basket.

"I don't know," I reply truthfully.

Lola and I have come in to central London to do some Christmas shopping. I made a huge mistake by not starting early this year, but I've been so occupied and busy that I didn't get the chance. I usually start my Christmas shopping late October, just when the Christmas lights have been hung around town and shops are stocking festive bits. Unfortunately, I didn't this year and neither has Lo so we're cramming everyone's presents into a one day trip.

It's safe to say I'm exhausted already and it isn't even 2pm.

"So..." Lola mumbles tentatively, catching my attention as we graze across the candle section, "Luke, huh?" she comes out with, visibly cringing at her own sentence.

I frown, "Yeah. Well, no actually. I guess... no," I reply, puzzled.

Lola sports a deep frown, "I knew there was something up with all his random little injuries. An underground, illegal fighter though? Hot."

"Lola," I scold lowly, my frown easing as we stroll down the pet aisle. I grab a couple of toys for my dog back home and toss them into my basket. "It isn't hot. It's dangerous and it hurts him and—"

"Oh come on," Lola giggles, "You have to admit, it is a little hot."

I shoot her a stern glare but her cheeky smirk only widens.

"A tiny bit, even?" she presses, making me roll my eyes.

"Just shut up," I grumble, taking a few steps in the opposite direction of my blonde best friend. She elicits a laugh, almost in an I told you so manner.

So maybe, potentially, on second thought, seeing Luke shirtless and sweaty with a fire in his eyes similar to the one I've only seen in the bedroom is undeniably sexy. But that doesn't mean what he does is okay. It's dangerous! It's really fucking risky and what happens the next time he's hospitalised? It could be much, much worse and I'd have to suffer through that along with him if I were to remain his girlfriend. It just freaks me out. I care about him so fucking much; much more than I thought I'd ever, and the sheer thought of him in pain and struggling makes me nauseous. I'd rather not know.

"Can we get coffee after this?" Lola yawns as we make our way to the registers.

I giggle, "Yes. I need a strong one. Oh! And I wanna head to a bookstore and pick up a few new ones. I haven't had much time to read lately."

We pay separately and are presented with a bag each for our items. We leave the store arm in arm, a gust of winter breeze encasing us the second we step outside. I shiver despite my grey wool trench coat and my cosy tracksuit underneath. I wish I wore gloves, or even a scarf. Nevertheless, we brave the December chill and head for the nearest coffee shop. There, we take a seat inside with a coffee each. I opt for a brownie and Lola gets a lemon muffin, too.