10. cherry wine

thursday,
october 1st, 2020

EZRA GREYSTONE

Slumping out of my psychological sociology lecture with Ollie by my side, I heave out a deep sigh at the thought of heading into digital and graphic design.

Ollie notices my lack of enthusiasm and nudges my upper arm with his elbow, "What's on your mind?"

I purse my lips as we cross the quad. Ollie told me he'd walk me to my design class because he's done for the day anyway. He had financial mathematics this morning, followed by psychological sociology with myself and now he gets to head home. I, however, had no class in the morning block and got to sleep in, but now I have to pay the price and attend digital & graphic design.

"I still have no idea what I want to centre my portfolio around," I tell him, letting my mind run with all different possibilities for Professor Joyce's class. "Joyce is asking us about it today, and I just don't know what I'll say to him."

Ollie hums beside me and I look up at him expectantly. He has a creative and intelligent mindset and I watch him think my issue over as the sun shines down on his forehead. His once curly quiff is barely wavy now and he runs a hand through it in thought.

"What about something to do with music?" he suggests and I furrow my brows thoughtfully. He glances down at me, "You love music. Why not write about your favourite artists and how their music makes you feel?"

I huff, mulling over his suggestion in my head before shrugging, "That's a good idea, I guess. I just wish I could think of something that I'm head over heels passionate about."

"Well, I think you should give the music idea a go," Ollie replies as we near the building that houses Professor Joyce's lecture hall, "You can always change your title before it's due, right?"

"You're right," I point out, "We have until February 18th to swap out our titles if we're struggling or come up with something better."

"Great," he chirps, stalling outside my building beside an overhanging tree, "So go with the music thing and see how you feel in a couple months, or even weeks."

I smile thankfully, "Thanks, Ollz. You're always full of brilliant ideas, aren't you?" I tease him, watching as a sly smirk curls against his lips.

He shrugs confidently, jutting out his bottom lip, "What can I say, Ez? I am a genius."

I scoff, jokingly shoving his shoulder and grinning when he elicits a contagious laugh, "I'll see you later alright? Are we all still on for tonight?"

The rest of the group and I agreed to head into central London this evening to grab a bite to eat. We're planning on either heading to this cool burger joint we stumbled across or just going for a Nando's again. We'll decide later I suppose.

"Yup," Ollie confirms, "See you later, Ez."

I watch as Ollie backs away and I say, "Bye, Oll."

He gives me a quick wave before turning around and heading for the Western gates. I sigh, turning on my heel to climb the three steps outside the building before heading inside.

***

"Should we go for a few drinks?" Leo suggests as he finishes his meal.

I watch as he tilts his glass of Coke towards his lips so he can take a sip and I shrug, "I don't mind," I reply honestly.

Lola looks at me curiously, "You don't wanna head home?" she asks, half surprised.