Out of Place

Standing in line with my parents at summer camp registration when the camp director comes over. "Oh wow, you're really tall! You were sitting down in your audition tape, so I didn't realize how tall you are."

Telling my friends about a crush on a guy. "But he's too short for you!"

Pulling my shorts down when I stand up because otherwise people will stare.

Never owning or wearing heels because (a) my mom doesn't really so she doesn't approve and (b) I'm tall enough already.

Being able to use the top of my ex's head as a chin rest.

Never knowing what to do with my legs when I sit down, so I always end up crossing them and tucking the loose foot behind my other leg.

Towering over most adults at social functions.

Trying not to slouch when I'm wearing something that shows my shoulders.

Being inordinately pleased when I meet someone who's taller than me, just because now I have someone other than my dad who I can hug and not take the brunt of their weight.

Feeling inadequate when I'm single and no one flirts with me.

Always standing slightly outside the "circle" of conversation because everyone in it is a good three inches shorter than me.

Walking through the mall and reminding myself not to walk faster than everyone else.

Being able to stand at the deepest part of my swimming pool.

Either hitting my head on the headboard or letting my feet dangle off the end of the bed.

Never having an opportunity to glance up through my eyelashes like Scarlett O'Hara.

Sitting on a toilet that's too short and splaying my legs into the next stall over.

Feeling insanely accomplished when I'm fit enough to actually touch my toes without bending my knees.

Wishing I were shorter.