Chapter 25

The air was probably the best place to look for an avian. And Grian kicked himself after realising this, he'd already walked halfway to Boatem. His plan was the catch the other avian if they were hiding in the bushes.

He scouted the skies for any sign of something moving.

It was worth the hours he spent, when the sun went down and the sky was painted pink and purple he saw something.

He dived at it and started following it. The thing stretched out two huge wings, much bigger than Grian's could ever be.

He followed the giant avian for about an hour, maybe more, almost all light was gone and Grian could hardly see anymore when it stopped. It flew into a mountain cave.

Grian did the same but stopped on the ledge outside. He peeked into the cave and saw a dimly lit entrance that looked like an abandoned mineshaft.

The avian barely fit into the cave, his wings almost scraping off the roof. Grian swallowed his fear and decided to just talk to this thing.

"Hello?"
The avian pulled his wings closer to his body and spun around, the chicken head still covering his face.
He breathed a sigh of relief at seeing Grian, who was about half his height.

"Oh hey, little buddy. How did you escape?"
He took off the chicken head to reveal a head of bright blonde hair and shining blue eyes.

The other avian began to approach Grian, who backed away in confusion.
"How did I escape? Escape from where?"

"From the-" The avian scanned his eyes over Grian and realised something only another avian could.

"You're an adult?"
"Yes?"

The other avian rushed towards him and began inspecting Grian.
"Brown hair, small figure, wings not healed properly. Oh my god, you've been at institutions."

He took hold of Grian's hand and dragged him into the mineshaft. Grian just went along with it.

"Can I get your name?"
"Well, the news reporters have nicknamed me 'Pesky' so I guess that."

Pesky kept dragging Grian through corridors, downstairs and around a maze of tunnels.

Eventually, they came out of the tunnel and Grian saw the amazing thing. Huge spherical houses hanging from the ceiling of a ravine, lanterns scattered around, spore blossoms threw aesthetics into the cave.

But the most beautiful was the hundreds of avians, all as big as Pesky, were flying around. Just- living. No restraints. Nothing dangerous.

Pesky dragged Grian through hybrids. The adults' wings were the same as Grian's and Pesky. The children's were much smaller and looked like they could hardly hold their own weight.

Pesky took Grian to see the elder. He didn't look that old but he figured it was a bird thing and it wasn't his place to correct them all.

The elder brought Grian in and listed almost all the same things that Pesky had said.
"Dark hair, stunted growth, adult wings, but they've been broken and not healed correctly. Boy, where have you been?"

"Well first I've been at multiple camps, The AHA, Concorp, yeah."

Pesky and the elder shared a worried look. The elder brought out his own wings, black as obsidian and much larger than Pesky's.

"Sit, please. What was it like?"

And for the first time in years, almost his whole life, Grian got to vent properly. To people who would understand. To people who he knew wouldn't judge him. And the elder didn't say anything.

Grian was so close to breaking when he finished talking. But he didn't dare to show how much he wanted to cry. Partly because holy hell there was more avians. And partly because he'd let all his emotions spill.

"Thank you, for your time." Grian nodded and was led out of the elder's room by Pesky.

"What now?" Pesky stopped and sighed. Grians question stumped him.

Everything in the avian cave was safe, that was its purpose, but there wasn't much to do. Most adults relied on their children to come up with games and entertain the older folk who were less imaginative.

That's mainly why Pesky started leaving the cave. Boredom.

"Um- well we could go back out?"
Grian was blinded by excitement.

"Back out? But this place is awesome! There are so many people! How could you want to go out, it's gorgeous in here and it's so cosy and-"

"That's about all it is. It's so boring in here."
Grians mouth was still open after being cut off. His eyes scanned the sky city. It was so pretty. But the closer he looked the more he realised it was just to look pretty.

He sighed.
"Alright let's go outside, I know this really cool man I think you'd like."

And a while later, in pitch black lighting, Mumbo Jumbo was standing on the roof of the building that he and Grian had rented, jaw on the floor, staring at Pesky.

"Mumbo, this is my friend. His name is Pesky."
Mumbo's eyes flickered from Grian to Pesky. The other avian was so much taller and his wingspan was much wider.

Mumbo, being a huge bottom, was stunned by this almost exact replica of Grian. But he was bigger, and stronger.

"Erm. Hi."
"Sorry he's just in shock, he's normally much more polite."

Pesky understood. But he'd never guess what was going on in Mumbo's mind.

"Would- would you like to come inside?"
Mumbo leaned in closer to Grian so Pesky couldn't hear his next words.
"Would it be rude to ask if he fits in hallways?"

Grian laughed and shook his head.
Mumbo breathed a sigh of relief and invited the two avians into the flat.

Xisuma heard them coming back down the stairs and noticed the third person through heartbeats.

"Ah hello Mumbo, I assume Grian. Who's the third?"
Pesky waved hello to Xisuma. Grian and Mumbo stifled their laughter.

"I'm Pesky. You are?"
"Xisuma!"

The exchange was strange from a third-person perspective. Pesky was too big for the corridor and had to pull his wings in, as well as slouch so he wouldn't whack his head off the ceiling.

Xisuma could hear the speech coming from above him but wasn't used to weirdly tall people that hit off the ceiling, so he was just looking directly where Pesky's shoulder.

Grian placed a hand over his mouth as Pesky tried to understand what type of hybrid Xisuma was, and Xisuma just continued on the conversation like normal.