Chapter 26

Mumbo placed his hand on his forehead to cover the sun and squinted his eyes.

"Guys you have to come down it's the middle of the day."

Two groans came from above him and Mumbo looked up.

Pesky was dive bombing straight for him and Grian hung further up waiting. The human shrieked and pulled himself into a ball to try and protect himself.

Of course Pesky pulled away at the last second but it was enough to terrify Mumbo. It always was.
"God you two have got to stop doing that."

A cackle came from the sky and Pesky landed on the roof.

"Sorry Mumbo, I couldn't resist." He rubbed his neck and looked to the ground. The human took that opportunity to take his eyes over the avians body.

Unfortunately, Grian landed just in time to spot this. His eyes shot open and his mouth twitched into a shocked smile.

"Mumbo Jumbo did I just catch yo-"
"As I was saying guys that scared the life out of me."

Grian and Mumbo locked eyes. And Mumbo was not happy with the avian about to tell Pesky what just happened.

"I won't do it again, can't talk for Grian though." The human laughed and Grian rolled his eyes.

"Pesky I've just had an idea. What if we show Mumbo the cave?" Pesky's eyebrows furrowed and his demeanour changed.

"The cave? Why would we do that?"
Grian shrugged.
"He'd really like it, and I never really got to see it. We just rushed in and out."

Pesky pulled his lips in tight and thought.
"Fine. But Mumbo can't tell anybody about this, ok?"

"Deal!" Grian had already grabbed Mumbo's arm and was ready to go.

"What now?" Grian nodded rapidly. Pesky sighed knowing he wasn't going to win if he tried to argue with the other.

Within a few minutes Mumbo was getting deja vu. But this time it was- better? But also worse.

He was being carried like a baby by Pesky towards the avian cave. It felt really familiar, except Pesky was much stronger and taller than Grian and could easily hold Mumbo in his arms.

The human didn't dare look at either of the avians for the whole ride, for fear they'd see his face. His bright red face.

They approached the small mineshaft entrance completely blind to who was watching them.

Little did they know that about an hour ago Cub from Concorp had thrown all of the papers off his desk.
He ran a hand through his hair and huffed in frustration.

"How did you let two of the rarest hybrids escape? And the only one we had to save Scar?"

Officer Dubs fidgeted with his hands as he listened to his boss.
"TELL ME, YOU WERE THE ONE SENT AFTER THEM."

Dubs opened his mouth to respond before Cub stormed around the desk and pushed Dubs backwards.
"HOW? OFFICER."

Dubs was shoved against the wall beside the office door. He turned his head to the side as Cub planted his hand beside his face.

"I'm sorry sir. I don't know."
Cub pushed himself off the wall and began pacing the room.
"My god are you all insane. Am I the only one who can do anything in this damn place."

"Sir?"
"WHAT."

Dubs took a breath before continuing. He'd come to the office to share important information with Cub. Something that would change the way hybrids were viewed.

"The news, there's another avian. Much bigger and seemingly better."
He held his breath while waiting for a response.

"Well don't just stand there! We must find it."
Dubs nodded and turned to leave the office. Cub dragged his hand down his face and pressed the button under his desk.

A group of special officers trundled to his office not long later.
"Spread out, look for the avians. Radio me if you see anything. Shoot them down."

They nodded, morals being thrown out the window. Cub smiled wickedly to himself as the special officers filtered out of his office.

But back to present times. One lucky officer spotted the three landing, Mumbo hopping out of Pesky's grip and then staring for a strangely long time at the strong bird.

"Sir they've been spotted. They're at a cave of some sort. Should I shoot?"

Cub heard the faint whisper from his radio and picked it up to his ear. He smile widened and he replied.

"No, no. Call the men down and give them an order to follow. Some hang back though just in case."

The special officer nodded and repeated the order to his troops. With a simple wave of his hand Concorp soldiers headed towards the mineshaft entrance.

As all this was going on Mumbo was in pure awe. The cave was beautiful. It was more than he could've ever imagined. The dangling homes and lanterns creating a fake sky against the black of the ravine. The odd sound of laugher and streets filled with busy folk dragging kids who couldn't fly yet.

Markets stalls lining the walls with little perches for avians to land on. Wings were dyed to each avians individual taste, much like a human would dye their hair and style it.

Upon closer inspection the houses didn't have doors. Just windows with the wooden trapdoors on them. Open trapdoors were an invitation in, closed were privacy.

The ravine walls were covered in foliage and crawling ivy. They snaked through the market stalls and covered anything that they found. The darkest spots were lit by faint glow lichen.

"You all- you all live here?"
Mumbo could hardly believe how magical and gorgeous the place was. And it's just been here the whole time.

"All of us bar Grian. But yeah pretty much."
Who knew how long the ravine went on for, and it was impossible to count everyone that had banded together to create such a perfect safe place.

"Uh guys-"

Mumbo turned to see what Grian was looking at. Pesky did too and a wave of fear ran through them.

A Concorp officer.