━ xvi. operation icyhot

⎯⎯ ❁ ⎯⎯

⎯⎯ ❁ ⎯⎯

━━ OVER THE NEXT FIVE DAYS, the atmosphere in the compound was strained. Everyone was tense, but few seemed to know why. When they passed each other, they said nothing, keeping their thoughts to themselves.

Nat and Aleyna still weren't on speaking terms, while the rest of the Avengers stayed to themselves.

So, when Sam managed to find Wanda and Aleyna alone in the shooting range, he felt the need to check on them.

"Hey, is everything ok?" Sam knocked on the wall beside the door of the shooting range, the two girls looking at him. Wanda had been sprawled on the floor, laying on her back as her hair went every which way.

Aleyna looked out of the window, her eyes following the slow waves of the water.

"Yeah, why?" Aleyna was the first to answer.

"You're sitting on the floor of the shooting range?" Sam chuckled jokingly. "We're waiting for Fury," She began. "I think we're a bit early. He wants us to try some power combo thing."

"Oh." He nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. "Do you know why it's been so weird around here?"

"No-" The Ukrainian girl started, only to get cut off by Wanda.

"She snapped at Nat, and now everyone feels weird."

"Why do you even know that?!"

"Mind-reader." Wanda rolled her eyes before answering Sam again. "But, it is true. Nat and Aleyna hate each other, so now we have to deal with it."

"Oh." Sam bit his upper lip as he moved out of the way, Fury and his guards entering. "You two are suspiciously early." Fury's eye squinted at the two girls, Wanda standing up.

"There's nothing else to do. Everyone is mad at each other." The Sokovian girl replied in a cynical tone as the two girls stood in front of Fury, Sam leaving the room.

He eyed them carefully, trying to notice any uncharacteristic body movements. He let out a discontent sigh while the guard to his left gave him a clipboard and a pen.

"I don't know what the issue is," Fury's brow rose. "But you need to get it together."

The two said nothing, only sharing a disdainful look. "Now then," Fury announced. "We have some ideas on what to do with Operation Icy Hot."