19 - The One with Kablooie

The two of us get up quickly, trying to catch up with Mobius. He starts heading into the library, making me groan at the thought of more research. When do we get to do the fun stuff?

  "What do you suppose he's doing?," Loki asks, walking along the side of me.

  "Who knows," I chuckle.

  "The variant left something behind at an old crime scene," Mobius replies, probably hearing our conversation. He turns into an aisle, fumbling with the lock of an evidence box. "A cathedral. A candy box. An obvious anachronism. I gave it to analysis, but they couldn't find anything real."

  "Why does that matter?," Loki questions.

  "Cause now we have two variables. Apocalyptic natural disasters and..." He gets the box open, taking a bag with a candy package in it. "Kablooie."

  "What's that?," Loki asks, furrowing his brows.

  Mobius looks at him as if he's crazy. "Candy. Do you have candy on Asgard?"

  "Yeah. Grapes, nuts."

  "No wonder you're so bitter," Mobius says, walking towards to where we came from. "You two go sit, I'm gonna go grab some files."

  I groan, not wanting to do any more work. Loki chuckles at my reaction, following me to a table. I sit down, pouting as Loki sits in the chair opposite of me. A little bit later, Mobius comes towards us with a fat stack of files in his hands, slamming it on the table.

  "Okay. Kablooie was only sold regionally on Earth from 2047 to 2051. We need to cross-reference that with every apocalyptic event. You both will get a third, and we can have a little competition, see who finds it."

  Loki looks eagerly to the stack. "Sure."

  "I'm in," I agree.

  "You wanna bet something?," Mobius asks.

  "Yeah," Loki shrugs.

  "Gentlemen's bet?," I suggest.

  "Yeah, let's play for pride. Okay. May the best man or woman win. Go," he says, handing each of us a stack.

  He sits down, starting to go through his own. I see Loki do the same, me following suit. Flipping through the pages, I see a variety of events from the years given. The Sakaarian raid, first woman on Mars, etc.

  "Anything?," Mobius asks as I'm about half way through.

  "Uh... it's not the climate disaster of 2048," Loki says, flipping through files. "Or the tsunami of 2051."

  "Let's go, let's go. Come on," Mobius urges, looking through his own.

  "2050. The extinction of the swallow... is that a thing?"

  I scoff. "Well obviously, it wouldn't be in the files if it weren't."

  "Completely screwed up the ecosystem," Mobius adds.

  "Krakatoa erupted in 2049 as well. No Kablooie," Loki sighs.

  "God, it's just one damn thing after another, isn't it?"

  "Cyclone, famine, volcanoes, floods..." Loki lists.

  The category 4 tornado in Oklahoma of 2050, the hurricane in Alabama of 2050... wait, what? I flip back to the file, skimming through it. This is it!

  "Got 'em!," I say excitedly. I turn around my file, showing the bewildered boys. "This is where he's gotta be."

  "Alabama, 2050," Mobius reads. Loki just has a plain expression on his face, wondering whether he should be excited that we found it our upset that he didn't. "And this is why you're my partner," Mobius chuckles.

  I smirk at the speechless Loki. "What's wrong, Loki? Upset you didn't find the answer to the big case?"

  He scoffs, still not knowing what to say.

  "Alright, the only thing left is to get Ravonna's permission. Shouldn't be too hard, right?," Mobius sighs, getting up with the file in his hand.

  "Sure," I chuckle, getting up with him.

  "Y'know, maybe it'd be best if I just went. You should stay with the trickster," he says, winking with that stupid smirk on his face.

  "I wouldn't mind that," Loki responds, also with a smirk. What is up with them and smirking?

  "I most definitely would, thank you very much," I scoff.

  "Oh, come on, Y/n. Lighten up a little," Mobius adds, nudging my shoulder. "I'm still going myself, though," he says, leaving us behind. I roll my eyes playfully, struggling to get my jacket back on. Before I know it, the sleave is magically in the place I need it.

  Except it wasn't magic.

  I turn around, seeing the god help me into my jacket, giving me a soft smile when our eyes meet. I quickly avert my gaze, trying to avoid another situation that could seem romantic.

  Loki chuckles behind me, feeling a little embarrassed at my rejection. We start to walk along the halls, not heading anywhere in particular, just walking in silence. A comfortable silence, though.

  "So," Loki starts, breaking the quiet. "Are you going to tell me what the nightmare was last night?"

  I sigh, knowing this would've come up. "Do I have to?," I ask, trying to get out of it.

  "Well, no. But it'd be best to."

  "Oh, yeah? And why's that?"

  "Because if you didn't then my feelings would be hurt."

  I laugh, making him smile. I sigh again, gathering my thoughts.

  "I'm not really sure where it's coming from, but I have this repetitive dream of being in front of this enourmous... thing. It's like black smoke, with a sort of dragon formed in it," I say, trying to explain it as best as possible.

  "It can sort of swallow things whole as if they're nothing and keeps things away from something. In the dream, the monster comes closer and closer, but I can't move. I can't run, nothing. I'm stuck there for it to eat me," I sigh, rubbing my face.

  "Last night, though, someone else was there. Someone grabbed my hand, holding it and staying there. This time, the smoke stopped in front of me. Whoever's hand that was, it certainly helped..."

  Loki nods his head, processing what I explained.

  "Do you suppose that because I was there, the smoke stopped?," he asks, looking into my eyes with a genuine curiosity in them.

  I shrug. "It's definitely a possibility." We find ourselves in front of Renslayer's office, deciding to sit and wait for Mobius to get out. We're silent the whole time, waiting a little impatiently for an answer.

  Finally, the door opens, Mobius exiting.

  "We're on."

hiiii

  Welcome to another weekend full of chapters :D

  Unfortunately, I didn't get any written during the week like I said I would, but that's okay. I don't think I'll write any more tonight, however, as I'm exhausted-

Here's some q and a to answer so I can read them in the morning, though :D

Q: What marvel movie are you most looking forward to that's coming out?

A: Spiderman: No Way Home and Dr. Strange (bc Loki might be in it)

Q: Would you want Y/n to go with Loki and Sylvie or stay at the TVA with Loki?

A: Go with Loki so we can keep those two lovebirds apart >:(

Q: Do you like how I'm basically writing the whole script word for word?

A: idk it's easier to get their personalities with using their actual dialogue, but I also don't know if you like already hearing what they've said before :/