29. AWAY [E.T]

[You are Valeria]

"How long till the next gas station? We're running out of fuel." Ethan asked me.

We were on our way to my hometown in Switzerland, Lugano, for a week since I hadn't seen my family for a long time. It was about an seven-hour drive from Rome to Lugano and we were taking it during the night when there was no traffic. We were around three and a half hours away, halfway there.

"Oh, that's nice, what would we do if we ran out of fuel? We can't call anyone, we're near Bologna we don't know anyone here." I said and Ethan laughed. "You find it funny that we could be possibly stuck in the middle of a highway at night with no fuel and no one to help us? Cool."

"Just tell me how long till a gas station, Val." he said, still smiling.

"Um, ten minutes." I said after checking my phone.

"Oh no, we will run out of fuel till then." he joked, trying to annoy me.

"Idiot." I said, slapping him as he laughed, I was smiling though.

"You love my idiotism though." he said.

I cringed. "You sound like a teenage couple right after they get together in a cringe teen love story movie. Stop."

He laughed at me and then focused on the road ahead.

We reached the petrol station not long after.

"Pass me my card, will you?" he asked, through the open window and I nodded.

I gave him his card and he left to pay for the fuel. He was there for quite a while but I soon saw him coming out.

"Close your eyes." he said through the window.

I looked to the side at him in confusion. "Why?"

"Just do it." he said.

I closed my eyes and I heard the car door open. "Just please no spiders."

He chuckled. "No, no spiders." I heard him shuffling and then he spoke again. "Okay, open your eyes."

I did as he said and I saw him with roses in one hand and my favourite chocolates in the other. I gasped and he smiled.

"Happy Valentines day." he said.

"Oh, is it midnight already?" I asked.

"Half past." he said.

"Oh, thank you." I said taking the roses and chocolates from him. "I love you, happy Valentines day to you too. I'll get you something when we get to Lugano." I hugged him and he kissed me.

It was nice until the car behind us honked at us. We laughed and I looked out of my opened window to see a group of people maybe, younger than us, in the car behind.

"It's Valentines day, fuck off!" I shouted. One of them got out of the car and started walking towards us. "Go, go, go!" I said to Ethan and he quickly started the car and drove away quick.

We both laughed as we sped away on the motorway. "That was epic." he said, still laughing.

"You need some thrill sometimes in life." I said, shrugging.

"Oh, yeah. And you're the queen of thrill." he said with a note of sarcasm in his voice.

"Did I sense sarcasm?" I asked.

"I think you heard wrong." he said.

"I so did not! You don't think I'm the queen of thril!" I said, accusingly.

We were both obviously joking, it was good to loosen up sometimes and get away from all our problems in life. To escape to a secret reality where it was only you and the people you love, away from problems, away from worries.

And that was exactly how I felt when I looked at the road ahead and Ethan next to me. Away from problems, away from worries. Far away.