Me or Her

Hermione had sat with the two girls following dinner. While Y/N went upstairs for his nightly routine she gushed about the Scamanders, how nice and caring and welcoming they were, how Y/N took the time to introduce her to each of the many creatures that were in the Reserve. About how nice it was just to spend time with Y/N alone.

"You love him don't you?" Ginny asked innocently. Hermione nodded and the two girls smiled.

"He loves you too Hermione. He talks about you all the time" Ginny said with a smile. Hermione's face lit up.

—~—

The next morning the weather was beautiful, the sun providing warm rays of sunshine and the breeze was gentle and cooling.

The group were sat in the yard of the Burrow enjoying the peace and quiet. Hermione had her head resting on Y/N's shoulder, his arm was around her lower back. She looked up at him and smiled deeply. His eyes were closed, his head was held high and he was smiling happily enjoying the breeze blowing on him.

"You love the outdoors don't you?" Hermione asked with a smile. Y/N chuckled.

"Yeah, some of my favourite times with Jacob were when we were on the road. Camping with Romany, Centaurs, even just wilderness survival. Those times he'd dump me in the forest and tell me to survive. Most of those times were great. One time though when I was nine..."

Y/N looked off to the distance and started chuckling. 

"I accidentally grabbed some stinging nettle leaves to ahh... clean up after dispatching a train."

It took Hermione a few moments to realise what he was talking about. When it clicked all she could do was cover her mouth with her hand. Maisy and Ginny had the same reaction. The twins, Harry and Ron meanwhile thought it was hilarious. Y/N laughed as well, adding:

"I wouldn't recommend it. Arse itched something shocking for a week".

The group were all laughing at this point but Hermione still felt terrible for her best friend. When she was nine she thought she had it hard when her parents told her no more reading because it was time for bed.

"So Jacob, he doesn't seem to care that much Y/N" Fred asked sympathetically. Y/N sighed.

"He does, just has a funny way of showing it. Like when I got back after the end of last year. He flipped when he found out I had fought Voldemort. Said it was too early and I wasn't ready. That's why he gave me this."

Y/N held up his arm with the tattoo.

"Mum told us we weren't allowed to ask about it" Ron said looking downwards.

"It's a protection sigil. Just needs a wand tapped on it and-"

"Like this?" George laughed and pulled out his wand. He tapped it on the tattoo before Y/N could stop him.

Hermione saw a look of panic in Y/N's eyes. He shot up quickly on his feet and Hermione was shocked until she heard a loud pop. Jacob appeared in front of the group with his wand drawn pointing it around.

"Where's the threat Y/N? Where's the fucking threat?" Jacob roared in a panic. The group were all terrified at his aggression, one more so than the rest. Y/N stammered:

"I-I-I'm sorry Jacob, it was an accident and-"

There was a loud crack, the group were shocked. Jacob had punched Y/N, hard, right in the mouth. Hermione looked at her best friend on the ground, his lip split and it was already bleeding profusely. She was about to jump on Y/N protectively when she heard Jacob scream a single horrifying word...