Hospital Visit

Y/N was laying in the hospital wing. Again. He had wanted to leave and just regrow his arm bones in his dorm but Madam Pomfrey wouldn't have it. Not to mention Hermione had given him the doe eyes... those big chocolate puppy dog eyes of hers. Y/N folded like a cheap suit. When she gave him those eyes he was putty in her hands. Pomfrey thought it was hilarious.

Hermione had spent the whole day next to Y/N's bed, even eating her dinner on a tray on her lap, and Snape had came back just before curfew to accompany her back to her common room. He was furious with Y/N though, snapping:

"Don't endanger your own health to prove he is a fraud. That was foolish and you boy are no fool."

Y/N had laid awake pondering everything after they had left and Madam Pomfrey had turned the lights down for the night. Severus was right. Y/N's eagerness to embarrass Lockhart had left him here, his wand arm in a sling. Another stupid decision endangering Hermione. But the way Severus had told him off- it wasn't like Y/N had ever been told off before. It was nothing like he was disciplined by Jacob. It felt like Severus was a father, disappointed in his son for a poor choice. Y/N had never felt that before. It was one one of the most bittersweet feelings of his life.

To feel that paternal feeling was incredible. But to have disappointed Sev so much... Y/N never wanted to feel that again. He thought back to his first detention of the year with Severus, a large smile on his face.

—~—

Y/N was sat across from the Potions Master, following the correct recipe to brew an Elixir to Induce Euphoria. He was so focused on his Potion he didn't notice Severus had grown uncharacteristically nervous across from him.

"Y/N... there's something I wanted to ask you. Well tell you, and then ask you, but I have to ask you something else first."

Y/N finished crushing his sopophorous beans and paused to look up at his stammering Potions Master, raising an eyebrow.

"Is everything ok Sev?"

Severus appeared to steady himself and nod before asking:

"What do you know about my past Y/N? I mean before I became friends with your father."

Y/N stopped what he was doing to look up and give Severus his full attention.

"You mean about how you were a Death Eater?"

Severus gasped. He internally panicked. Y/N knew. He knew?

"Y/N, you have to understand that-"

Y/N held a hand up to silence his friend.

"Jacob told me, Sev. You switched sides. I'm not going to judge you for your mistakes. You don't owe me any explanations. What matters now is that you are loyal to the right side. Obviously you are or my dad wouldn't have trusted you the way he did."

Y/N smiled and a huge wave of relief passed over the Potions Master as he asked:

"What else did Jacob tell you?"

"He told me why you turned spy, your love for Lilly Potter. That you and my father became close. That you're the bravest man Jacob has ever met"

Severus went quiet, feeling overwhelmed. Y/N had known the entire time, yet had never judged Severus for his past. Had never even let on that he knew.

"Did Jacob ever mention... my relationship to you?"

Y/N grew slightly puzzled as he answered "No..."