thirteen

dally's pov

i walked inside the curtis house and luckily skyler wasn't there. well she was, but she was in the shower. "hey dal sky was lookin' for ya," ponyboy said. "look, i want you guys to tell her i'm leavin' town for awhile and don't know if or when i'm coming back," i said. "what?" steve asked.

"i care about her a lot, but i know you guys are right, i don't wanna hurt her so i'm leaving before i can," i said. "dallas think this through, you leaving now is gonna crush her," darry said. "it's soon enough that she can get over it though man, c'mon i thought this is what you wanted?" i replied.

"well, we didn't want you to hurt her, we never wanted ya to leave," johnny said. "i'm not actually leaving, i just want her to think i am, i'm gonna go stay with tim shepherd awhile so if she goes to bucks she won't find out," i said. "are you sure?" sodapop asked. "you guys know me well enough that once i've made up my mind it ain't gonna change," i said opening the door.

"i'll call in a while to check in," i said and walked out. i knew it would hurt her for a little bit, but if i'd let it go on any longer, i'd end up hurting her even more.

skyler's pov

"sky come on inside now," soda said kneeling next to me on the front porch. "i'm okay it feels good out here," i said. "look skyler, i know you're waiting for him to show up, but he isn't going too so please come inside and eat dinner," he said and i sighed. i agreed and followed him inside, eating a small portion of the food darry made.

"i'm gonna go walk around town," i said standing up. "thanks for dinner dar," i added. "want me to come with ya?" johnny asked. "i'm okay thank you tho," i replied and walked outside. i walked to bucks, hoping maybe he had more answers than the guys.

"hey kid," buck said as i say next to some random guy. "you know why he left?" i asked. he shook his head. "where he went?" i asked. "no, all he said is he needed to leave," he said wiping down the table. "can i go upstairs for a minute?" i asked. "sure but no promises there isn't people in there," he said. i just ignored him and went up anywhere.

"scram," i said to the horny teenagers on dally's bed. they were like 13 why were they at a bar, my god. i looked around and all his stuff was still here except for a few clothes were gone. i sat down on his bed holding one of his jackets and wrapping it around myself. the way i'm acting you'd think he died or something.

but in the passed few weeks, he's made me feel things i've never felt before. it made me feel alive. but now he's gone, and if he doesn't come back, i won't feel it again. i kept the jacket on and went back downstairs and to the lot. i shouldn't sleep outside because of my stitches, they could get infected, but i didn't wanna go home.

johnny was there too, i assumed he didn't wanna burden the gang so i laid with him under the newspaper. "hey what're you doin here?" he asked. "don't wanna go home," i said. "where even is home anymore?" he asked. "i wish i knew," i sighed and we both just laid in silence. "you really care about him huh?" he asked. "yeah, i know it's stupid but i've just never felt the way i feel when i'm with him, it's like this rush of adrenaline," i said.

"that makes sense, i'm sorry if i ruined it for you," he said. "it's ok if i can tell you something," i said. "shoot," he replied. "we kissed last night, that's why i was so confused and hurt when he didn't say goodbye today," i said. "i'm sorry sky," he sighed. "it's alright, i'll get over it eventually," i shrugged. "i'll fix this," he whispered, clearly trying to make it so i didn't hear. i ignored it and closed my eyes slowly falling asleep.

dally's pov

it was almost 1 am, i figured the guys and skyler would still be up so i went to walk over there. i was walking passed the lot and saw johnny and skyler laying there. i rolled my eyes, they knew better than to sleep out here. johnny must've heard me light my cigarette cause he woke up and rubbed his eyes. he saw me and shook his head. "fuck this," i said and walked back to tim's.

i wasn't gonna last, i already miss her, i don't miss people. if you let people in, you can get hurt. i don't get hurt, i won't let it happen. that's why i don't let anyone in besides the gang, and barely even them. but then skyler came along, i don't know what she did to make me care about her so damn much, but she did. and i do.

i hate it. caring only fucked me up more than i already am. "dal wait," i looked back and johnny was trying to catch up with me. "what?" i asked. "you can't leave sky," he said. "isn't that what you guys wanted from the start?" i asked shaking my head. "yeah, before i realized how much you both care about each other," he said.

"i can't go back now, she already thinks i left," i said. "come back on her birthday," he said. "it'll ruin her god damn birthday," i said. "no it won't, it'll make it better," he argued. "whatever what do i need to do?" i asked.