twenty-three

skyler's pov

"cooper stop barking dally's gonna kill you," i whisper yelled. he barked again and dally sat up. "why's he barking?" dally asked. "i don't know, i took him outside and he went, he ate and had water, i think he just wanted you to wake up," i said.

"come here coop," dally said and cooper jumped on him. "i think we should take him to the curtis's he could probably use a walk," i said. "okay," he said. "get dressed," i said. "after you," he said staring at me. "perv," i said laughing. "you know you love me," he said. "do i know that? yes, yes i do," i replied as i changed my clothes.

"you change while i put cooper on his leash," i said. "yes ma'am," he said, kissing my head as he walked by. i put coopers leash on him, then put my shoes on and brushed my hair and teeth. i waited for dally and he walked downstairs and kissed me. "ready?" he asked and i nodded. cooper made us run all the way down the street until we made it to the curtis's.

"he's insane," dally said as we walked inside and took him off his leash. he jumped on ponyboy since he was holding a water and pony poured water in his mouth, getting it everywhere. "you know he actually is pretty cute," darry said. "i know," i replied. "i'm leavin' for work, make sure he doesn't ruin anything," he said. "have a good day," i said and he left.

"he's cute," soda said, petting him. "i know, the guy at the pound said he hates everyone but he seems to love everyone," i said. "he's a sweetheart," i said as he ran up to me. "huh coop," i said and he licked my face. dally sat in darry's chair and i sat on his lap, leaning into his chest.

"any chance we could find something fun to do today?" i asked. "probably not," two-bit said. "can one of you watch cooper for awhile?" i asked. "sure why?" ponyboy asked. "tell you later," i said and grabbed dally's hand, dragging him outside. "where are we goin man?" he asked.

"the store," i replied. "why?" he asked. "i want some candy," i replied. we walked into the store and walked around for a minute. i walked up to the cash register and a cute old guy was working. dally stood right behind me and i distracted the worker.

"do you guys have any marlboro cigarettes back there?" i asked, grabbing a small thing of kitkats and handing them to dally. "i think so let me check hun," he said. i looked at dally and smiled then handed him a lighter and pack of gum. he hid them both and the worker turned back around.

"we have some, you wanna pack?" he asked. "depends on how much they are," i replied. "6.95," he said. "well shoot, i only brought five dollars, i guess i'll come back for them later, thanks anyway!" i said and me and dally walked out.

"you're sneaky," dally said laughing. "one of my many talents," i replied. we walked around town for awhile, we may or may not have been doing the same thing at every store, but we had too much stuff now. "i'll take it to bucks and go check on coop, go to dingos and i'll meet you there in a little bit," he said.

"don't ditch me," i replied and he chuckled and kissed me. "i'll be back," he said and walked off. i went down the street and into dingos and got a booth. i ordered fries and two burgers. it had been almost an hour and his food was getting cold and i'd already finished eating.

i just set money on the counter and walked out. it was dark outside and i didn't have a blade. i wasn't even half way home when i heard a car pull up to me. 5 or 6 guys got out of the car and surrounded me. "what do you want?" i asked. "as long as you don't fight we won't hurt ya beautiful," one of them said.

"i have better things to do," i said. this was inevitable. i wasn't gonna get out of here unless i was covered in blood. dear god dally please me somewhere nearby. one of them grabbed me as another started walking towards me. i kicked him in the chest and elbowed the guy holding me in the stomach. "oh feisty," one said.

fuck fuck fuck. three of them grabbed me at the same time and pinned me to the ground. i tried to get out of their grasp and ended up getting repeatedly hit in the face. "leave her alone!" someone yelled. i was expecting it be dally but when the guy helped me up i wasn't greeted by his cold blue eyes. i was greeted by warm brown eyes.

"thank you," i said. "sure thing, i'm lucas jones, you can call me luke," he said. "skyler cade," i replied. "you need me to walk you home?" he asked. "sure, you new around here?" i asked. "kind of, tim shepherds cousin," he said. "oh, explains that scar on your forehead," i replied. "you know him then?" he asked. "yep, curly was one of my friends in grade school," i replied.

"hey are you alright you're pretty cut up?" he asked. "i'm fine, my boyfriend is gonna flip his shit tho," i said. "boyfriend?" he asked and i nodded. "who's the lucky guy?" he asked. "dallas winston," i said and his eyes widened. "yeah i know," i laughed and got to the curtis house. "thanks again, see ya around," i said and went inside.

all the guys were there except for dally. cooper ran up to me and licked my cuts. "what happened?" darry asked. "long story, where's dallas?" i asked. "not sure," johnny said right as he walked in. he saw me and stopped. "shit," he said. "yeah shit is right, where the hell were you?" i asked standing up.

"i got held up at bucks i'm sorry man," he said. "no, sorry isn't gonna cut it this time dallas, i got jumped by six guys and nearly got raped!" i yelled. "and where were you? oh you were just at the bar no biggie," i said. "well are you okay?" he asked. "thanks to luke," i said. "who the hell is luke?" he asked. "tim shepherds cousin, he's the one that helped me," i said.

"prick," he muttered. "he's a prick for helping me?" i asked. "no that's not what i- look i'm sorry okay? i didn't mean too i never wanted you to get hurt," he said grabbing my hands. "oh and don't forget the burger i bought you, thinking you would be there soon," i said.

"skyler i'm sorry," he said. "whatever, cooper needs food let's go," i said and put cooper on his leash and walked out. "skyler hey," dally said grabbing my free hand and turned me towards him. "i'm sorry," he said. "just please don't do it again," i said. "i won't i swear," he said and kissed me. i kissed back and leaned into his chest as cooper jumped up on us.

"okay coop we're goin'," i laughed. we walked into bucks and i got food for cooper. i stood up and ran into luke. "what're you doing here?" i asked. "i was just getting a drink, what're you doing here?" he asked. "me and dally live here," i said as dally walked over to me. "who's this?" dally asked. "luke, dally, dally, luke," i said. "thanks for helpin' sky today man, i owe ya," he said. "sure," luke said.

"that your dog?" he asked. "yeah that's cooper," dally said as luke bent down to pet him. cooper started growling and barked at him. "coop no," i said petting his head. "feisty, anyway i should go, see ya around," luke said and left. "good boy coop, you know a bad guy when you see one," dally said petting him. "dallas," i said. "what?" he laughed. "let's go clean your cuts," he said taking my hand and leading me upstairs.