twenty-seven

skyler's pov

as soon as i woke up i rushed to get ready. i fed cooper and gave him water before leaving to see johnny and dally. when i walked into the hospital i went to the front desk. "can i see johnny cade?" i said. "name?" she asked. "skyler cade," i replied. "related to the patient?" she asked. "i'm his sister," i said.

"down the hall, first left," she said. when i walked in the room the sight of my big brother made my inside curl. i hated seeing him like this. "hey johnnycakes," i whispered and knelt down next to him. "hey sky," he said, barely audible.

i didn't even know what to say. i cant ask if he's okay, that's a stupid question. "any news on your condition?" i asked. "paralyzed, can't feel from the middle of my back down," he said. "fuck," i whispered. "it's gonna be okay,"

"you don't need to lie to me, i know i ain't lookin' good sky," he said, taking a deep breath. "i inhaled so much smoke that i have lung damage, don't even know what's wrong with me, almost everything they told me was gibberish," he said.

"johnny, come on, don't talk like that you'll be alright," i said. "you got me and the guys," i added. "i know i do, but it ain't gonna help, i don't wanna die, as much as i used to talk about killin' myself i don't wanna die now, but there isn't much we can do," he said.

"stop that, you're not dying johnny," i said and wiped the tears from my cheeks. "sky, i'm not tryna upset ya, but i wanna be able to say goodbye to ya," he said. "you won't have too!" i said. "you can keep denying it, but i love you a lot sky, and it's all gonna be okay," he said. "i love you too, but you aren't fucking dying," i said.

"sorry hun i gotta re-apply cream to his burns you gotta leave," the nurse said walking in. "okay, i'll be back later johnny i promise," i said. "be careful sky," he said weakly. "i will," i said and walked out. when i walked into dally's room and i saw him sitting there throwing a ball at the wall, i lost all my composure.

"hey hey hey, what's wrong doll?" dally said turning my way and i couldn't stop the tears from falling. i fell into his arms and he just held me. when i got a hold of myself he just waited for me to talk. "johnny isn't good dal, i don't know if he's gonna make it," i whispered.

he took a deep breath and sighed. "i don't know what to say, i'm sorry sky, but johnny's tougher than all of us," he said. "i know, he just shouldn't have to be anymore," i sighed. "i'm sorry," he said. i didn't say anything else, i just stayed there while he held me tight.

tim shepherd walked in and i sighed and moved away from dally a little bit knowing he isn't affectionate in front of others. "i saw you in the paper, can't believe it didn't have wanted dead or alive underneath it," he said.

"you two hear about the rumble tonight?" he asked. "no, what're the details?" i asked. "think they're playin' our way, but no way to tell for sure with the damn socs," he said. "i'm gonna miss a fucking rumble?" dally said.

"looks like it," tim said. "see ya," he said and walked out. "you know damn well he just came here to rub that in my face," dally said. "i know," i said and laid my head on his shoulder. the nurse walked in and dally immediately tensed up.

i moved out of the way and sat in the chair. "where's your gown?" she asked. "i threw it away," he said. "get out of here, just get out, you're making my stomach sick,"

two-bit and ponyboy walked in as the nurse walked out and dally started laughing. "hey how ya doin man?" he said to two-bit. "swiped you something from the gift shop," two-bit said. dally threw it on the side table. "it's good to see you guys man this place gives me the creeps, i want out," dally said and closed the door.

"tim shepherd dropped by, saw my picture in the paper and couldn't believe it didn't have wanted dead or alive written underneath it, started rubbin it in about the rumble man, i hate missin it," he said. we all looked around for a second and dally sighed. "how is he? how's johnny doin man?"

"i don't know i don't know much about this stuff but, it ain't lookin too good," two-bit said. "you still got that knife?" dally asked. "what?" two asked. "the knife," he repeated. two-bit handed it to him and he grabbed it. he turned over and was facing away from all of us. "we gotta win that rumble tonight man, we gotta get even with those socs," he said and turned towards us. "let's do it for johnny man, let's do it for johnny!" he yelled and i sighed.

when i walked back into bucks i looked around and cooper was sleeping on the bed. i closed the door and laid down next to him, praying to god that nothing went wrong tonight. i had a pit in my stomach and i could tell something was gonna happen. whether it's johnny, dally, ponyboy, something will happen. and i have a feeling i'm gonna come out the bad end.