twenty-eight

skyler's pov

"hey soda when did you start shaving?" ponyboy yelled from the bathroom. "when i was 15," soda said. "what about darry?" he asked. "when he was 13, why you thinking of growin a beard before the rumble?" soda laughed. "oh you're funny," pony said.

"no put the beer inside the shoe then the next shoe," i said to two-bit. "genius," he said. "give me that shoe dar," i said and he handed me the shoe on the floor. "one more," i said and set it on the second beer. cooper walked over and nudged it with his nose, causing the stack to fall over and we both laughed. "put your shoes on," i laughed and hit his arm. "pony i dunno if you outta be in this rumble, maybe you should stay home with skyler, you ain't lookin so good" darry said.

"come on ill grab hold of a little one," pony said. "come on darry let him fight we all get tensed up before a rumble," soda said. "or let me go in his place," i said. "no," they all said. "just an idea," i huffed and curled up in a ball on the couch.

"well alright, but if you need help tell me," darry said. "how come you never worry about him so much?" pony asked, gesturing to sodapop. "cause this kid can use his head at least for one thing to grow hair on!" he said and they all whooped and hollered running out of the house.

i sighed and smiled as i saw steve attempt a back flip. i hope they don't get beat up too bad. as they walked down the street i saw someone running to the house. they got closer and dally walked inside the house. "what're you doing?" i asked and stood up. "i'm not missing that rumble, i just wanted to see you," he said.

"i love you," i smiled and he kissed me passionately. "i love you so fuckin much skyler cade," he said. i felt my cheeks go warm and i kissed him again, giving him a tight hug after. "go kick those socs asses," i said. "yes ma'am," he winked and ran out. as he ran out the door my stomach turned and the pit in my stomach returned. something was gonna happen soon. it wasn't gonna be good.

i grabbed a beer and sat on the porch as i waited for the boys to come home. cooper walked onto the porch and laid his head on my lap. "you think it'll be okay?" i asked and he tilted his head at me. i pet his head and we both sat there waiting, but after awhile i was getting impatient. it started pouring rain so me and cooper went inside and stared out the window on the couch.

after ten more minutes of waiting i saw them walking towards the house and i stood up quickly and opened the door. they walked inside and all had bruises and cuts. "where are ponyboy and dally?" i asked. "i don't know they took off," darry said as they all sat down somewhere. "well, how'd it go?" i asked. "we won," steve said. i sighed in relief and grabbed some stuff to help clean their cuts.

the phone rang and darry said it was for me. i walked over and it was the hospital. "is this skyler cade?" the doctor asked. "i'm so sorry to tell you this over the phone, but your brother didn't make it, he passed away about 5 minutes ago," he said and i dropped the phone. i felt all the air in my lungs escape and i fell to my knees.

my ears were ringing and i felt someone's arms wrap around me. i looked and it was sodapop. "what happened?" he asked. "johnnys dead," i whispered. i couldn't tell if i even said it out loud. nothing felt real. 5 days ago i was laying in bed with dally and cooper, laughing at an old picture i found of johnny and i as kids.

soda just hugged me and nobody said anything else when ponyboy walked in. "pony where you been?" darry asked, standing up. "what's wrong?" he asked. "johnnys dead," ponyboy said."told me to stay gold, i dunno he just died,"

"dally's gone, he couldn't take it he's gonna blow," pony said and i looked up at him. "we need to find him," i whispered. "we will," soda said. i stood up and sat on the couch and cooper laid with me. none of us knew what to do, when dally was off the rails nobody could stop him.

the phone rang and steve answered. he handed the phone to darry. "yeah, yeah we'll be there soon," he said and hung up. "dally's running from the cops he needs us to meet him in the park, we gotta hide him," he said and we all got up and started running to the park. we ran as fast as we could as we saw dally on the hill and the cops around him.

"you're never gonna get me alive!!" dally yelled and the cops started shooting. "NO ITS NOT LOADED!" darry yelled. it was too late, dally had been shot at too many times to count. as the man i love rolled into the street, crawling towards us. "pony," dally said, rolling onto his back. i watched as he took his last breath and his eyes closed as i fell to the ground next to him. "you stupid idiots! you stupid freaks!" darry yelled.

i ran my hands through dally's hair as my tears fell onto his cheek. i'd lost two of the people that mean most to me in this world, on the same night. i kissed dally's head and grabbed the gun from his lifeless body. i stood up and looked at the cops that surrounded us. "the gun wasn't loaded," i said and threw it at there feet. "and you just killed a 17 year old boy,"

i went to walk away, before ponyboy fell to the ground.