I'm Just Fine...

"Your midterm scores should be posted." Miss Shiraki folded her arms. "Those of you with failing scores in any subject will be taking make-up exams on Sunday."

Naturally, a chorus of groans arose from the class.

"I don't wanna hear it." She pointed at them. "Be grateful to your teachers for the second chance. They're all giving up their weekends to help you."

Leaning back in her seat, Uo set her arms behind her head. "Tell 'em. You don't wanna do make-ups, then don't fail in the first place." She glanced at her friends. "But, Tohru, Hiyori, I'm sure you guys passed everything, right?"

Smiling weakly, Hiyori turned to face her. "Well, actually..."

An aura of doom and gloom caught her eye. Pausing, she turned slowly to see her cousin was the source. Totally despaired, Tohru was hiding her face in her hands.

Sweatdropping slightly, Hiyori went over to her. "T...Tohru..?"

Uo joined them. "...Well, let's hear it. Did you fail?" When Tohru nodded quietly, she winced. "...How many?"

Without lifting her head, she raised one finger.

Crouching in front of her, Hiyori folded her arms on Tohru's desk. "Aw, but that's nothing to get too worked up about! Think of it this way," She beamed. "You did better than me! I got two failing grades!"

Tohru parted her fingers just enough to glance at Hiyori. Uo blinked at her. "What? You failed two of 'em, Hiyori?"

"Yup~!"

Uo smiled in confusion. "You don't seem too upset about it, though."

"Well, it's still one less than last year! That must mean I'm getting better -- slowly, but surely!"

'...Yeah, right...You just got lucky...'

Her friend ruffled her hair. "I like the way you think. See, Tohru? One subject's nothing to stress out over."

"Indeed." Setting her hand on Tohru's shoulder, Hana joined them with a gentle smile on her face. "Take heart. And, if it helps, you both scored wonderfully compared to me. I failed them all."

Hiyori sweatdropped. Uo deadpanned. "If anyone is gonna be depressed, it oughta be you." She turned back to Tohru. "You haven't failed any exams before now, have you? No tutoring sessions with the prince this time around?"

Tohru glanced off to the side. "Actually, Yuki did help us study..."

"Miss Kato? Miss Honda?"

Tohru gasped. Tensing, Hiyori glanced over her shoulder to see Yuki approaching them.

"How'd it go?" He asked. "Do you have make-ups?"

Shrieking, Tohru shot to her feet. She waved her hand and backed away from them until she reached the wall. They all watched her turn to drop to her hands and knees on the floor.

"Please forgive me..!"

"T-Tohru..." Hiyori stood up to face Yuki. "Um, I can't apologize enough, Yuki!" She bowed. "I'm so sorry for wasting your time by proving just how stupid I really am! I know I'm a lost cause, but please don't give up on Tohru!"

Yuki watched cluelessly. "Huh..?"

Going over to the wall, she crouched beside Tohru with her fists clenched encouragingly. "You can't give up, Tohru! There's still plenty of hope for you! You don't have to worry, okay?"

Tohru glanced at her with teary eyes. "Hiyori..."

Frowning, Uo joined them by the wall. "You're right about that, but you shouldn't say you're a lost cause, Hiyori. The world isn't ending here."