It's Just A Day

"Ah, it's cold~!"

The New Year was just a few days away. Hiyori had spent the past month trying not to think about it; the more she thought about it, the faster time seemed to fly by.

If she had the option of stopping time, she would do so in a heartbeat. But she didn't, so what else could she do but smile and pretend like she wasn't anxious about the holidays?

Having finished their trip to the grocery store with Uo and Hana, the girls were on their way home. Smiling at her cousin's comment, Tohru tried to warm her hands with a breath of warm air.

"You said it." She giggled.

Uo shut her eyes. "Cold is an understatement. It's more like freezing."

Hana -- who never seemed bothered by changes in temperature -- was clutching her newly purchased ornament in her hands. "I can't believe how much has changed this year."

Tohru shared a smile with Hiyori. "I know what you mean."

Shrinking into her jacket for warmth, Hiyori glanced up at the sky. 'Four months ago, we were living in a tiny tent. Now we live in a big, beautiful house with people who turn into animals.' She smiled to herself. 'It'd make a crazy story if we could tell people.'

"Tohru, Hiyori," Uo glanced at them. "Are you guys hanging out at your grandpa's place for New Year's?"

Tohru hesitated. "Oh, well...That's what we were planning to do." Her gaze went to the pavement beneath their feet. "But..."

Leaning forward, Hiyori grinned. "But, he and the rest of the family are taking Tohru on their trip to Hawaii!"

"Seriously?" Uo raised her brows.

Tohru's smile was a weak one. "Apparently they had some remodeling money left over..."

"Okay...but then what about you, Hiyori?"

"Well, I declined the offer." She shrugged sheepishly. "He said they could find the money to bring me, too, but I couldn't accept. I mean, on top of taking me in, he's done so much for me in the past eight months. I couldn't bring myself to ask for any more than that."

Tohru glanced at her. "But even though she won't go herself, Hiyori refused to let me say no to going."

"Mm-hm!" Hiyori nudged her. "Since we moved out, they've been a lot nicer, so I'm sure you'll have tons of fun! There's no way you're missing out to stay home and be bored with me." She beamed. "Besides, I'm sure it'd make your grandfather happy if you were there!"

After watching her for another moment, Tohru looked back down. "I guess..."

"So, does that mean you'll be staying at Shigure's house instead, then?" Hana questioned.

"Ah, well," Hiyori scratched her cheek. "That's a good question. I'm hoping to find the courage to ask him by tomorrow morning..."

"Hold up," Uo frowned at her. "So you have no idea where you're actually gonna be during the holiday?"

She giggled awkwardly. "Not really..."

The tall blonde patted her head. "Then, just come to my place. It's small, but we'll fit. I promise it won't be boring, at least."

"You're more than welcome at my home, too, of course." Hana offered.

"Aw," Hiyori skipped up to walk backwards in front of them. "You guys are so sweet to offer, but you know I couldn't do that! There's just no way I could impose on your guys' families for the holiday!"