Change Takes Time

The sky was so much brighter today. There were a few puddles here and there on the path, but Hiyori was glad to be rid of the rain.

The bandage on her arm covered up her scratches. Her side had a bruise from the fall she took last night, so she tried to avoid certain movements. It didn't make for a very comfortable sleep, but there were worse things. She just wasn't looking forward to Uo and Hana grilling her about why her bicep was wrapped in bandages.

When she and Tohru came downstairs that morning, they found out that Kazuma was leaving. They offered to make breakfast before he left, but he seemed intent on going home right away. So while Tohru stayed back to cook for everyone else, Hiyori walked with Kazuma to see him off.

She made conversation with him for the entire walk. She found out that after his time in the mountains with Kyo last year, he went on a training sabbatical. But now, he planned on returning to his dojo at the Sohma estate. Through talking to him, Hiyori realized that Kazuma really was a kind and polite man. His personality reminded her very much of Tohru's, which was probably one of the reasons why she got such a good feeling from him.

Once they got to the footbridge at the end of the path, Kazuma turned to face her. "I'll be fine from here. Thank you for the company."

Hiyori glanced down uncertainly. "Um...are you sure you shouldn't have said something to Kyo before leaving? I don't mean to pry, I just.."

He smiled faintly. "...What would I say?" Hiyori blinked. "You know, when I first took him in, it was a form of atonement for me. Like Kyo, my grandfather was possessed by the cat. He was cast out by his immediate family, spoken of cruelly by his relatives, treated horribly by everyone...myself included, I'm ashamed to admit. I only met my grandfather once."

"No way! I'll be cursed!"

Kazuma looked down. "Such brutal, thoughtless words...And, yet, instead of rebuking me, he just smiled and offered me his forgiveness. Years went by. I grew up, and when I saw the way Kyo was treated -- the world he lived in -- I realized for the first time how foolish we'd all been. How needlessly cruel. Taking him in may have been a...self-serving decision initially; a way to relieve the pain of my guilty conscience...Yet, before I knew it, I loved him like he was my son. Like I was his real father." He shut his eyes. "When I took his beads, I ignored his wishes and forced my idea of our relationship onto him."

Hiyori looked down, too.

"There is no turning back after this, Kyo."

"That's why...I don't know what to say to him now. "Good for you? I'm so proud"? What right do I have to say that, after selfishly putting my feelings before his? It would be arrogant and unfair. Besides, all I did was create the opportunity. You're the one who saved Kyo." He smiled at her. "Because you were there for him, Kyo was..."

Her head stayed down. "I, um...I have to wonder...was that really "selfish"?" Kazuma blinked at her. "I mean, it's not like I know much about the bond between a father and son, so maybe I'm overstepping. But to me...it's clear that you acted out of love. I can tell that you would do anything for Kyo." She glanced up to smile at him. "Hearing you talk about him warms my heart. And I really do think that you sound very much like a father."

He stared at her. But before he could say anything else, a familiar shout came from behind Hiyori.

"Master!"

Kazuma looked up and Hiyori turned around. Further down the path was Kyo, panting as if he'd run all the way here. Hiyori got the feeling he did exactly that.