That's The Plan

"Grandpa collapsed?! That's terrible!"

Covering her mouth, Hiyori bit back a noise of panic. Only being able to hear half of the phone call wasn't going to ease her worries in the slightest. The call was originally supposed to be about their parent-teacher conferences, but this change in the topic had her forgetting all about that.

"What happened?! I-Is he going to be okay?!" Tohru listened to her aunt's response. "Oh...So, then, he'll recover?" The next reply had Tohru sighing in relief. After that, she glanced at Hiyori. "Oh, yes. It's coming up pretty soon..." Her eyes widened. "No, it's fine! You don't need to worry about that, really. But I would like to come visit him -- "

Walking up behind her, Shigure plucked the phone from her hand. As he raised it to his ear, he set his free hand on top of Tohru's head.

"Yes, well, hello there! Tohru's aunt, I presume? Shigure Sohma, at your service." He gently pushed Tohru to where Hiyori was standing. Yuki walked out of the living room to join them. "Yes. Yes, that's right...Oh, not to worry."

When he laughed at whatever was said, Hiyori sweatdropped. "Shi...Shigure..?"

She was certain he heard her, but he didn't acknowledge it. Realizing there was no point in trying again, she turned to instead tug on Tohru's shirt.

"Um, so, what's wrong? Is Grandpa alright?"

"Oh, yes." Tohru replied. "He strained his back, but I was told that he should be okay."

She exhaled. "Oh, good..."

"Yes, yes, that sounds perfect!" They turned back to Shigure. "Goodbye, now."

Bristling, Tohru and Hiyori squeaked when he hung up the phone just like that. Yuki frowned at him. "You can't just hang up on someone else's call!"

"Hm? Everything's all set, so what's left to say?" He crossed his arms. "Now, good news. Girls, you can go visit your grandfather tomorrow."

Tohru blinked. "Oh, okay, thanks."

"As for the parent-teacher conference, I shall be playing the role of guardian."

They froze again. "Huh?!"

Yuki crossed his arms, too, but his expression was much more skeptical "You? Huh...Right, because what could go wrong with that?"

Shigure blinked. "Wait, what? You're disappointed? But I thought it was a brilliant idea. You don't want me to come?"

"No!" Tohru cried frantically. "I mean, we never would have asked you to go to so much trouble just for us! I-I'm sure you're way too busy to come up to the school for something like this!"

He chuckled. "It's no trouble. Don't worry your pretty head about it."

Hiyori blinked when he looked away for a second with a brilliantly delighted smile on his face.

"Well, anyway," Turning back, he smiled kindly at the girls. "Your aunt and I decided that this would be for the best."

"No," Yuki deadpanned. "You decided."

"So, what do you girls think of our little plan? Sound good?"

They met eyes to share a glance. Then Tohru's eyes glimmered with tears while Hiyori beamed brightly. Simultaneously, the girls bowed repeatedly.

"Yes, it sounds wonderful! Thank you!" They chorused. Shigure just chuckled.

Kyo came in through the front door just then. Today was the day of his supposed "not-a-date" with Kagura, but he was home a little earlier than Hiyori expected.