See You Soon, Then!

"Hatori!"

Wiping the table after breakfast that morning, Hiyori didn't expect any arrivals. Everyone had already gone to the annex, so -- just like yesterday -- only she, Tohru, and Kyo were left at the vacation house. That's why Hatori's visit surprised her...especially since Akito seemed dead set on keeping all the zodiac members close to him.

Just like last night, Tohru was lost in thought. Whatever was on her mind had yet to be resolved; she'd been spacing out for several minutes now. And because of that, she didn't notice Hatori's presence.

Joining them in the dining room, Hatori smiled just slightly. "Hello, Kato. I see you're chipper as ever."

"Thank you for noticing." She grinned. "What brings you by?"

"Just paying a quick visit." Spotting Tohru, who had her eyes on the floor, he approached her. "Honda?"

No response. Still staring at the floor, Tohru reached up to touch her forehead with her fingers. Now frowning, Hatori shared a glance with Hiyori.

"Tohru?" Hiyori called. "Toh-ru~?"

Snapping out of it, Tohru glanced at her. "Huh?" Then, when she noticed that Hatori was right in front of her, she gasped. "Oh, uh, Hatori! I -- !"

"What's wrong? Do you have a headache?" He asked.

"No -- I mean, thank you for asking, but my head is fine! I was just thinking, and then, um, suddenly you were there, and, well, I wasn't expecting you, so..."

Hatori glanced to the side. "I came out here with Akito yesterday. This is the first chance I've had to stop by."

"You're staying at the annex, too..?"

Hiyori lit up again. "So, you took the time just to come see us? That's very nice of you -- thank you so much, Hatori!"

"...I'm sorry." When he still wouldn't look at them, they blinked. "This should be a fun vacation with your friends, and instead you girls are on your own."

"Huh?"

Tohru waved her arms in protest. "Please, you don't need to apologize! We are having fun! We've got each other -- and Kyo's here, too, so we're not alone! A-And with the others gone, we've got plenty of time to cook, and do housework -- so we're quite relaxed, too!"

Hiyori couldn't help thinking back to that morning; everyone bid their goodbyes before heading for the annex like they did yesterday. At the time, she dismissed the thought that they might feel...guilty about leaving. Why would they? They were just doing what was expected of them.

...And yet, here Hatori was, apologizing for just that. It made her think; did he feel guilty? And if he felt guilty, then did everyone else feel guilty, too?

The very idea made her feel arrogant. And yet...it made her happy, too. Happier than she could say.

Her smile returned. "It's really good to see you, Hatori." Glancing at her, Hatori blinked. "Being here has been tons of fun, and you stopping by has made it even better!"

Beaming, Tohru had tears in her eyes. "Thank you for coming to visit. And there's no need to worry about us, really. I'm just glad we got to be here!"

Hatori smiled. Walking past them, he briefly patted their heads. "I'll be going, then."

"Oh, sure." Hiyori smiled. "Bye, Hatori! Say hi to the others for us, okay?"

He didn't turn, but he did wave. "Kyo, try to be good company."

'I guess...we won't be seeing Akito today, either...'

That's when she noticed Tohru spacing out again. Turning to her cousin, Hiyori leaned over to place herself in Tohru's line of sight.