Sidney Crosby #4

You and Sid have adjusted to life pretty well since your daughter Skyler was born 16 months ago, sure there were some bumps along the way but nothing too major..... until today.  

You had just been cooking lunch for your little family of three, Sid had practice that morning and was due home any minute. You had left a small bag of almonds open on the table, where you thought they'd be out of Skyler's reach.  

However when you turned around, you noticed the bag was now sitting on her tray and her face was starting to swell.  

You were on the verge of a panic attack when you heard the front door open. You screamed for Sid to drop his stuff and go back out to the car as you grabbed Skyler out of her seat and rushed out the door.  

Sid looked extremely confused until he saw Skyler, you rushed to the hospital and the doctors immediately took your baby away, you yelling about the almonds as they rushed away. You and Sid went and sat in the chairs in the waiting room, you felt awful for being so stupid. When you looked at Sid, you could tell he was beyond terrified. 

You grabbed his hand and held it tight, as the two of you waited for what felt like hours (which in reality was roughly 45 minutes) until the doctor came out. 

Sid jumped up immediately, worry etched across his face. You stood up slowly and waited for the doctor to begin talking. 

Doctor: "Your daughter is fine, she had an allergic reaction to the almonds. That leads me to believe she's also allergic to the other tree nuts; such as walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pistachios and of course almonds. You need to check ingredients in everything, incase a product has one of those in it. Other than that, she's perfectly fine and can go home." 

You look to Sid, and realize he isn't going to speak. So you speak up instead, thanking the doctor and leading Sid to the room Skyler is in. He lets go of your hand and rushes over to Skyler, lifting her into his arms and holding onto her, almost like he thinks if he lets go, she'll be gone. 

Your heart breaks, knowing this was your fault (or so you think it is anyway). 

Sid turns and looks at you, and; without having to say a word, convinces you that what happened to your daughter wasn't necessarily your fault.  

You walk over and wrap your arms around your husband and daughter, tears falling down your face. 

 Thankful your little girl is okay.