Chapter 20: Pain

Damon sits at the edge of the cliff, admiring the moon, trees, and whispers of the wind when the crunching of leaves disturbs that peace. He sighs in defeat, knowing there was no need to be alarmed because he knew exactly who it was from their smell, "I thought you were helping Kali clean up for Ian and Lily."

He turns around to see a brown wolf stare back at him with her glowing amber eyes before he goes back to his view. He hears the crunching of bones beside him before the naked brown-haired girl takes a seat next to him, "We finished up, and after I took the baby to Mary's, I needed a run to clear my head." She folds her knees into herself.

"And your run just happened to lead you here where you knew I might be?" He leans back on his palms.

Casey winces a bit at how harsh his question came out, but she would be lying if she didn't say that she didn't know he would be here tonight. The mountain cliff was his place to think when he was upset, and she knew he was upset about tonight, just like she was. "Was it wrong? I thought maybe you didn't want to mourn alone." She fiddles with her fingers, "I know I didn't."

He stays quiet, so she turns to look at him. She could see the pain in his eyes, and her heart twisted. Not only because he was in pain but because she knew her presence did nothing to ease it anymore, no matter what she did, "Where's Zoey?"

"Asleep. She took tonight quite hard. I don't think she's used to the death of innocents quite like we are. In that sense, she's quite innocent herself. She somehow always thought we all deserved what we got, but now she's seeing how hard we actually have it, and with her emotions on overdrive because of the baby, she takes everything quite hard. It's sweet." She could hear a smile in his voice as he talked about her, and she balled up her hands angrily.

"And yet she never once thought that tonight might be hard for you. Did she?" A low spur of venom left her lips for the girl.

He sighs, "A lot of the people in our pack have lost their kids, Casey. She can't feel my emotions like others. I don't hold it against her, and you shouldn't either."

"I can't feel your emotions, and yet I still knew. That's no excuse." She unravels the ball she put herself in and cautiously reaches out to try and touch one of the hands he was leaning on, "I just don't understand why it can't be me..." her voice breaks a bit towards the end. Her hurt was showing.

Damon feels the soft touch of her hand but doesn't move, "Because it can't be. I already told you why. I explained everything to you. I was completely transparent. I didn't hide anything from the moment I found out about it Casey. If you still don't get it, then you never will until it happens to you. Stop making this harder for both of us. You're only hurting yourself, and lashing out in front of everyone isn't going to change anything either." He pulls away from her touch.

Tears prick the sides of her eyes as she once again gets rejected by the man she's loved since she could walk, "W-what am I supposed to do then? J-just sit back and watch? You're just as miserable as I am! So why can't we be miserable together?" She sniffles as she tries to hold back her tears.

Damon sighs as he looks at the pleading brown-haired girl next to him. She could see the guilt he felt for making her cry, and although she was being manipulative for doing it, she knew that's how she usually got him to give in to being with her again, even if it was just one more night. Being held by him gave her some comfort.

He reached over and touched her cheek, wiping away a single fallen tear, "Casey, you're one of my best friends. I love you. I do, and I hate seeing you cry, which is why I thought I was helping you all those nights we spent together after everything that happened. I already lost one person close to me, and I don't want to lose another, but I already told you that we will never happen again." He pulls away from her, "If I have to be the bad guy, then I will; if you want to make me the bad guy, then fine. I'll accept it. We both know I'm not completely at fault here. I pushed you away when you were hurting the most, and I feel guilty about that, but I can't go back and fix it. The best thing I can do for you now is put that distance between us, even if I have to do it by force. I'm sorry, Casey, but this has to happen."