Chapter 30: The Alpha's Wrath

Not long after the start of their journey Zoey had to get Beth to stop. Her body was thoroughly complaining. Her legs were shaking underneath her weight. The adrenaline from earlier was wearing off, and all the aches and pain were slowly becoming unbearable. She bit her lip. She couldn't give up here, but maybe there was another way.

"Are you alright, Zoey? Should we stop?" Beth looks at the red-head with concern.

Zoey takes a seat on a tree log. Even though Beth looked more fragile than her, she was still a werewolf, and they had incredible superhuman abilities even if they never used them like their stamina, "Yeah. I'll be fine."

Beth quickly looks up in the direction they were coming from, and nervousness clouds her face, "Um... Zoey, I-I think we should get moving. T-they're coming quite quickly."

Zoey takes a deep breath and gets up from her place on the tree trunk to put her hands on Beth's shoulders. If they were closing in, then there wasn't any other choice. Two pregnant women with malnutrition couldn't take on an alpha and two other male werewolves. All she was doing was slowing them down, and getting help was more important. Zoey could also slow them down while Beth got away, especially since there was no way. She wouldn't serve Beth back up to that monster, "Alright, Beth, listen to me. I need you to run as fast as you possibly can to town, and when you get there, I need you to get ahold of the nearest phone you can find and call someone for me. His name is Damon, and his number is 521-263-4335. Don't forget it. Alright?"

The dirty blonde viciously shakes her head, "No! I-I can't leave you here! He'll kill you..." her eyes tear up.

Zoey couldn't help but smile at how concerned she was for her, and it was then that she knew that with a hundred percent certainty that she had put her faith in the right person, "He won't kill me. He said it himself. He needs me as leverage for my father." She gives the girl a quick hug, "I'm glad I made a new friend. Now go." She lightly pushed Beth in the direction they were heading.

The thin girl hesitated as she looked at Zoey, but the comforting smile plastered on her face reassured her, and just like Zoey told her, she ran off instantly, disappearing into the night. Zoey winces as she sits back down on the tree log to amend her aching feet. This was a stupid idea. She knew it was a stupid idea because even though she told Beth that things would be okay, she wasn't sure they would be. Shivers went down her spine as she imagined what terrible things Gordon would do to her because of how pissed he was. Since she tried to kill him and took his luna, she would be lucky to make it, let alone the baby.

She frowns and lays her hands on her stomach, "I'm sorry... after I promised to protect you, I go and do something stupid like this. I hope you can forgive me." She rubs it lightly, "I hope Damon can forgive me too. He was so excited to have you." She chuckles, "And I still didn't even have the balls to see if you were really his. I royally screwed up this time." hs.

Zoey heard snarling off in the distance, and it was approaching closer. She stood tall from the log, preparing herself for whatever would happen next. Her palms got sweaty, and she was lightly shaking. She wasn't sure if it was because she was in the cold in nothing but her underwear or because of fear; maybe it was both. She had never been in a situation she couldn't get out of, and accepting the feeling of helplessness in this situation was hitting her like cold water.

She was purposely giving up so they had a chance to get out of this alive. That wasn't selfish, right? It was logical, but maybe it was selfish. She was deliberately putting herself in harm's way even though she was pregnant, but it wasn't like she could feed Beth to someone dangerous to save her own life. That wasn't who she was, and unlike Beth, she wouldn't have gotten very far. This situation was the lesser of two evils.