Chapter 34: When It Rains It Pours

"What? How?" Zoey's stomach sinks. It was nearly enough to make her gag, but she resisted that temptation. Now was not the time to be getting nauseous.

Damon licks his lips before he continues as if to prepare himself for what he was about to say, "That werewolf that was acting strangely before. You remember him, right? The one that was carrying the T.E.R.A issued tranquilizer?" He looks to her for confirmation, and when he sees that she is following, he continues, "Well, not long after you saw him, he died. We didn't kill him. We had no intention of killing him, especially since he seemed to be a victim despite how he was acting, so we wondered how he just dropped dead. When we did an autopsy, we found out the reason why. The cause of it was a highly potent and lethal amount of wolfsbane. That wasn't the strange part. The strange part was how it got into his system. A chip was surgically implanted in his brain, specifically on the limbic system. The limbic system is where we get all of our behavioral and emotional responses from. Ours, as werewolves, are particularly more hypersensitive than humans, which is why we can be so out of control at times. They managed to override his limbic system and get him to do what they wanted him to do, giving him orders through that microchip and when he was no longer useful, that same chip killed him."

A knot formed in her stomach. She didn't like where this was going, "And what is it that they wanted him to do?"

"It's pretty simple, isn't it? T.E.R.A couldn't find our pack by any other means. What better way to find a werewolf pack than by using another werewolf? They were tracking him the entire time. He was just a pawn. T.E.R.A has known where Trint is since the moment that werewolf stepped onto pack land. The only thing I don't understand is why they haven't attacked us yet or what their ultimate end goal is here." He runs his hands through his hair, "But our entire pack has been in danger since then."

Zoey's heart skips a beat at the use of 'our.' She wasn't sure if he meant it to include her or not, but she couldn't help take it that way, "So you've been keeping a lookout since..." she trails off and takes a deep breathe in.

It was a lot to take in. T.E.R.A had been looking for Trint for ages, but the town didn't show up on satellite surveillance, and there was just too much ground to cover by foot, especially since they didn't know how big or little the pack was. They would be going in blind, and it was too big of a risk, but if they knew where they were and controlled other werewolves, then it was only a matter of time before those same werewolves came charging in to kill them. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see where it was going. Her father always valued human life, and he was sad to see so many soldiers die in the line of duty, was this his way of minimizing casualties while still getting the job done? It had to be.

"So why have you been keeping this a secret? Everyone needs to know the danger they are in, and they have to prepare to fight." Her eyes soften. He was under so much pressure from all sides, and she didn't know how to help ease it.

He settles his grey eyes on her, "Zoey, most of the pack aren't soldiers. Yes, we teach them how to defend themselves in a worst-case scenario, but most of them would rather run and panic than face a battle, and if they run, they don't have much elsewhere to go if our pack gets disbanded. The only big pack known besides Trint here in the states is this one, and David doesn't have the financial capabilities to house over 1,000 more werewolves, so most will live in the cities where the risk of being killed or captured by T.E.R.A is higher. Not only would they have to worry about T.E.R.A, but they have to worry about turning into a rogue werewolf because of their isolation. So if I tell them, then what? I made an oath to take care of them, and that's exactly what I'll do. I'm currently looking for land for us to move to, but finding that is proving to be a bit difficult, so in the meantime, we have to stay put."

His response raised a few questions, "What do you mean that David can't support more people? How can you support over 1,000 people?"

He chuckles. Zoey's question was amusing, and she couldn't exactly figure out why. He puts a figure to his lips, "It's a secret. If you want to know later then, I'll tell you later. For now, let's go give our respects to David."