Chapter 22: Disaster

Zoey stands outside the clinic door, hesitating to go in, she had a prenatal appointment today, and it couldn't have come at a worse time. It had only been a few weeks since both Lily and Ian had experienced the loss of their child, and she hadn't seen either one of them since then, would seeing her only break their heart even more?

Damon nudges her shoulder from beside her, lightly encouraging her not to worry, "I know you're worried about them. We all are, but they'll be upset if you decide to walk on eggshells around them too. Come on. They won't bite." He puts his hand on the small of her back, opening the door and lightly guiding her in.

Ian looks up from a mountain of paperwork at the chime of the bell above the door, "Lily Zoey is here." Ian had gone back to his aloof demeanor like the pain in his eyes hadn't happened a few weeks ago.

Lily comes out of the examination room in a cute pink blouse, cotton black skirt, and white lab coat with a slight smile on her face, "Hey Zoey. Let's get your monthly appointment started, shall we?" Lily gave her a warm embrace like she usually did when she saw her, but she could tell that her actions lacked their regular bounce and energy. Zoey's heart went out to her as she followed her into the examination room while the men stayed in the reception area, giving the girls some privacy.

"So, tell me, anything strange I should know about? Swelling? Bumps in places there shouldn't be bumps?" She wraps the blood pressure cuff around her arm.

Zoey shakes her head, "No. Nothing strange that I know of." She let an awkward silence fall between them. She didn't know what to say to her.

Lily records her blood pressure, going about setting up the scale for her before she speaks, "You don't have to be so skittish around me, Zoey. You're making me a bit sad. Did I lose a good friend?" She lays her amber eyes on her.

Zoey shakes her head vigorously, not wanting her to get the wrong idea, "Of course not! I just..." she looks down at her stomach and then back at her, "I just don't want to upset you or anything because... you know..." she looks back down at her stomach.

Lily puts her hands on Zoey's and touches her forehead to hers, forcing her to look at her, "Nothing is going to change between us, Zoey. I'm grieving, yes, but that means that I need your carefree and cheerful attitude more than ever right now. You don't have to act any different around me. Complain about morning sickness or Damon. It's a wonderful reminder that there is still so much fun stuff to experience. Besides, I happen to love your brutal honesty."

Zoey's green eyes soften to a point where tears lightly trickle from her eyes as she brings her into a hug, "If anyone deserves kids, it's you. I don't."

Lily hugs her back tightly and then gets her tissues, "It'll happen one way or another." Zoey gets on the scale, so Lily writes down her weight as she continues with their conversation, "Ian wants to stop trying."

Zoey steps off the scale, "And you don't?"

Lily puts the clipboard down and stares at it as Zoey changes into a hospital gown, "I've had three miscarriages and one stillbirth. Each one has been very hard on us. Especially this last one when we thought it would finally happen, but no, I don't want to stop trying. Ian loves kids. He lights up so much when he's helping them, and he's so considerate with them. I know he'd be a great father, and I want to be able to give that to him, to us, but he sees and feels how much it hurts me to lose each baby, and he doesn't want to see me hurt anymore, but I know he still wants them."

Zoey finishes up changing and sits down on the hospital bed. It was amazing the level of connection, love, and understanding the two had. It was something she had always wanted and was close to having until it vanished in the blink of an eye, "So what will you do?"