Chapter 19: Unexpected

Zoey stiffens from her position on top of him; despite his current inability not to go into rut, she still doesn't want to see what he was like when he loses his self-control to any one of his emotions. Her mind was already racing a mile a minute as she began looking around for something to ease the sexual tension she felt radiate from him. She liked teasing him, but this was something else entirely.

When she had come up with a game plan, Damon's grip on her loosens, and he stares up at her with his smokey gaze, "See, I told you. Nothing to worry about."

He shoots her a small smile, but she can easily see the strain behind it. He was forcing himself not to do anything, and it was then that she realized just how pent up the man was. They weren't having sex, but that didn't mean he wasn't having sex with someone else. Like Casey. Or was he being abstinent right now? Was it because of what she said when she first got here?

She opened her mouth to ask, but the banging on the front doors caught both their attention before she could. Zoey crawls her way off of him as they hear the door open by Kali and an exchange of words between her and the person who knocked. The two people made their way to the kitchen, breaking whatever awkward situation was going on between the two of them.

It was Oliver. He always seemed to have impeccable timing, "Lily's about to give birth. We need you down there now." He was panting as he spoke in nothing but a t-shirt and shorts. He wasn't even wearing shoes. It was apparent that he was asleep when the news reached him.

He glances between Damon and Zoey briefly, sensing once again the tension between the two but ignoring it for the time being for the more urgent situation at hand.

Damon nods, immediately flipping a mental switch between what happened and what was about to happen, "Does Ian have everything he needs?"

Oliver nods, "Yes. All we're missing is you. Casey is helping Ian with the delivery."

"Alright. Let's go." He gets up from the stool and trails after Oliver, who leads the way.

Zoey beams brightly at the news. She was thrilled for her. Lily was ecstatic about greeting their new baby. Zoey didn't know two people who deserved a baby more. She knew just how loved it would be when it got here.

Kali turns to follow after the guys when Zoey asks a little too excitedly, "Can I come? I want to congratulate her."

Kali turns around, smiles brightly, and nods, "I hope you're familiar enough with our pack."

Zoey gives her a confused look before following after her. What did she mean by that?

**************

It all clicked into place when she and Kali arrived at Ian and Lily's cabin. People were pouring out of the tiny house, smiling and talking amongst themselves in their pajamas. Zoey was surprised to see so many people gathered around in the middle of the night for the birth.

Kali wiggles her way into the house, with Zoey following after her until she finds a good spot in the middle of the spacious living room. Screams and grunts radiate through the humble home from upstairs through the chatter. Zoey looks at Kali, "I wasn't expecting so many people here at two in the morning."

Kali glances around at the sea of people packed into the tiny home, "Yeah. Well, we value every birth since they're far and few in-between. The last birth we had in our pack, in particular, was five years ago. I wasn't here then, but that's when little Dean was born. He was our pack's baby until tonight."