Chapter 41: Heartache

Zoey wraps her arms around herself and buries herself deeper under the white comforter. She hadn't left her room since that day and hadn't stopped crying much either. How long had it been? One day? Two? Seven? She lost count since all she had been doing was sleeping and occasionally eating the food Kali left at her door. If she starved herself, ultimately, she would have to speak to someone, and she didn't want to talk to anyone right now.

**************

Zoey woke up in the comfort of her room on pack grounds. It took her a moment to remember what had happened and when it hit her, she lifted the covers and looked down underneath them. Her stomach no longer had the little bump of life she had been getting used to, and there wasn't any blood, and she had been changed out of her previous clothes.

"You're awake... I'm glad. I got worried." She looks up from underneath the comforter and finally notices that Damon was sitting beside her. He was changed out of his suit too.

A lump forms in her throat. She was scared to ask, but she had to know, "W-what happened w-with the baby? I-is it okay?" She grips onto the edge of the comforter tightly, trying to prepare herself for his answer.

Damon reaches out and gather's her hand in his, his eyes sullen but soft, and she had already known before he spoke. Tears began welling in her eyes as she turned away from him and cried into the comforter. She didn't want the baby, so why was she crying for it? And why did her heart feel like it was being ripped apart in her chest? And why couldn't she look directly at Damon?

"It's not anyone's fault Zoey... these things are common for us... I'm just sorry you have to go through it." He lays a soft kiss on her hand, "If you need anything, then I'm here for you. I won't leave-"

"Get out." She couldn't look at him right now, and the sadness in his voice was just not something she could bear right now.

She bit her tongue as her muffled request was followed by silence. She felt her hand freed from the warm grasp, and soft footsteps got progressively quieter, "If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask." The broken tone in his voice clenched her heart as the door closed soon after.

Her face scrunched up as tears began to flow freely out, and she sank back into bed, letting it all wash out of her.

**************

Zoey felt like she had gone back to square one. This was precisely the same position she was in months ago. She was locking herself in the room and refusing to get out of bed. Zoey didn't think she would be this distraught about a baby she didn't even want in the first place, but to her surprise, she was. She had briefly imagined what it would be like to hold the little bundle and what it would be like to see them in the little nursery next to Damon's bedroom and what it would be like to see Damon holding his-

She mentally kicks herself. There she went again. Imagining things she shouldn't for about the hundredth time since she locked herself in her room. Somehow her mind always went to taking care of the baby and seeing Damon with them. What did all that mean?

She groans into her blankets. It hurt. It hurt to think about things she couldn't have, and she was also confused. When had she stopped thinking about Cole? And when had she started considering the baby was Damon's? She slowly gets out of bed for the first time in what feels like ages and opens one of the dresser drawers in front of her bed. She shuffles through the clothes and pulls out a crumpled-up white envelope. It seemed late now, but she had to know. She takes out the piece of paper inside and unfolds it. It had a chart, and she scrunched up her face trying to understand it but at the bottom held the results of the tests that she was trying to understand.