Home for Christmas

Prince's POV

It's the holiday season and everyone is in the Christmas spirit. Well, everyone except me. I've never cared much for the holiday especially with my family but, Genevieve wants everything to be perfect for the kids.

I walk into the kitchen to find the children sitting at the table wearing matching pajamas and big smiles.

"Hi, Daddy!" Pip screams looking up from the paper in front of her.

"Hey, baby girl. What're y'all in here doing?" I ask walking over to the stove.

"We're writing letters to Santa."

"Yea, so mommy can take them to the mailman and he can take them to the North Pole." Elijah chimes in never looking up from his paper. I smile at their enthusiasm as I prep a kettle for tea.

"What're you asking for this year?"

"I'm asking for a doll house and new dress up clothes!" My little girl smiles at me as I take my seat across from them.

"Anything specific you want to dress up as?"

"I wanna be a cowgirl and a pirate and... and a dancer like mommy."

"What about you little man? What're you asking Santa for"

"I don't know." I look across the table at my son. His 5 year old face is full of concern and it breaks my heart.

"Daddy, if Eli doesn't tell Santa what he wants will he still get presents?" Pip asks slamming down her pencil.

"Santa's always watching! He'll know anyway!" Cadence yells still not having control of her inside voice.

"Yes, babygirl. If you don't tell Santa what you want, as long as you're good, you'll still get gifts."

"But how will he know what I want?" I pause for a moment and think of the best answer but before I can a voice answers.

"Santa knows every little boy and girl by name and he knows everything about each one. He knows your favorite color and your shoe size and your favorite candy too. If you don't know what you want Santa will think of something you'll like and give you that." I turn around and see Genevieve standing in the kitchen. I give her thumbs up and she winks at me. "It's getting late children. Why don't you go upstairs and pick out a book?" The children clean up their messes and get out of their chairs before heading towards the stairs.

"What about my good night love?" I chime in before they're too far from the table. They turn to face me and I open my arms. They run to me and I hold them tight kissing each of their foreheads.

"You're not coming?" Elijah asks softly.

"Not tonight, Daddy's got some work to finish." The kids look up at me with sad eyes and I rub their backs in unison. "How about we make breakfast together tomorrow to make up for it?"

"Okay, Daddy."

"Alright, now. Tell your father good night and head upstairs." Genevieve adds over my shoulder.

"Night night, Daddy."

"Goodnight, Cadence."

"Night, Dad."