Just Desserts

Genevieve's POV

Prince has been out of town promoting his latest album, Sign o' the Times. I would've went with him but I was under the weather when he left. I'm happy to be there in spirit in the ring on his left ring finger. I've watched every interview and am currently watching the last of them. I smile as he speaks with a gentle confidence about his art and encourages people to buy the album.

"That's enough of the business talk. I wanna talk about you." Prince gives a worried look to the crowd earning several laughs from the audience.

"Last time you were on this show you were a single man promoting a movie and an album called Purple Rain. Y'all remember that one, right?" The crowd cheers and my heart flutters remembering our time together on set. "A couple years later and I hear you're married?" The crowd ooos and ahs as they show a picture of Prince and I from our wedding shoot with Ebony.

"Yes, I am married to a beautiful beautiful woman."

"How long have you two been together?"

"Genevieve and I are going on two years married and four years together."

"Incredible. Rumor has it, along with being a part of your band, singing background vocals for you and other artists and being a dancer and choreographer, she is also a pageant winner. What can you tell me about that?"

"Yea, she's been Mrs. Regency International two years in a row and before that she was Miss Regency International."

"Wow, that's amazing. How'd you know she was the one?"

"I knew when we met she was different. I thought I was hot stuff but she wasn't paying me no mind."

"You we're interested first?"

"I was." He smiles sheepishly. "Truthfully we all had a bit of a thing for her."
"How could you not?"

"She is the most strong willed person I know. I won't say stubborn because she'll put me on the couch. But uh... she was just fiery and passionate and kind and gentle. She challenged me to be a better artist, a better performer, and a better man."

"Some would consider you 'strong willed' did you two ever bump heads?"

"All the time. She'll stand up to anybody. That's one of the things I love about her." They continue to talk like this for a while. I turn the tv off once the interview is over and go back to my sewing. I repair some of his old socks and tailor a few of my garments. Once everything is to my liking I take everything down the hall. I match the repaired socks with their mates and hang up my dresses in my closet. Only good thing about Prince marrying Mayte all those years ago, is that now I have a walk in closet big enough for my everyday clothes and my pageant wear. As I hang up the last dress the phone rings in the bedroom. Excitedly, I leave the closet and flop onto the bed before picking up the phone.

"Hello, beloved." I smile into the phone.

"Hey, mama. How'd you know it was me?"

"You call me after every interview."

"You got me." He chuckles softly and I can hear his smile through the phone.

"Well, it's your last day in California doing anything exciting?"

"Nah, there's nothing going on out here. Nothing for me anyway." His voice seems sad as he tells me he has no plans. I hope he's alright.