Just Like Old Times: Part 2

Genevieve's POV

After dinner we start getting ready. I take out a simple brown dress. It's long and has a matching jacket in case I get cold in the draftiness of the lounge. Nights like these, I'm grateful my hair is braided up into a puff saving me the hours it would take to style. I chuckle thinking about all the times people have assumed my hair is fake. They aren't used to seeing Black people with long, healthy hair. I haven't had a haircut since I was a little girl. They ask my secret and I always tell them hair is an extension of you. Treat it like a person. It must be fed and hydrated and loved. I keep my ends trimmed, my scalp oiled, and my strands full of moisture. Even straightened, you can smell the homemade oil blend in my hair. I rub some of my oil between each braid being careful not to disturb my parts. I quickly pick out my puff and watch as it grows in size.

Glancing, I look at my husband through my vanity. At 29, his body has never looked better. I bite my lip watching him get dressed. Slowly his strong arms and shoulders, his slender waist, and his newest obsession, his abs, are covered by a simple white button up. He throws on a brown suit, complimenting my dress. He catches me staring from across the room and a smirk forms on his face.

"If you keep looking at me like that we'll never leave."

"If you keep looking like that I won't want to."

"You don't really want that, mama."

"You don't know what I want." I smirk finishing the last of my makeup. I smile liking the warm brown tones on my skin. With everything except my lipstick on I'm ready to help him. He sits at my vanity and I quickly put on his makeup. I line his eyes and add mascara. Normally, he'd let his stylist do it but on nights like these I always help him out.

His hair is short now and all it takes is a little combing and the occasional curl here and there. He had short hair the day we got married and I think it suits him. The wild curls of his Purple Rain era belonged to a different man. I run my fingers through his hair, tossing it this way and that and smile at the finished look. I walk away so he can look and he smiles.

"Thank you, baby." He pulls me into his lap and we share a quick kiss before throwing on our shoes and heading out. Several minutes later, we arrive. I reach into my purse for the tickets but the bouncer stops me.

"Right this way, ma'am." He escorts us to a special table in the front where another couple is seated. As my eyes adjust to the dim lighting of the smoke filled room I smile recognizing an old friend.

"Hey, you two." Andre smiles from across the table. Prince chuckles and shakes his hand.

"Hey, long time no see! What's got you out tonight?"

"You know this is Tatiana's favorite place." I smile and wave at Tatiana. Excitedly, she smiles back leaning over to hug me.

"I didn't know you'd be sitting with us!" She chimes in my ear before letting go.

"We didn't either. I bought these tickets a week ago and thought we'd just sit in the back at our favorite table but, they escorted us over here."

"We'll, it's very good to see you again, G." Tatiana is Andre's long term girlfriend. They met a little after we got married and have been inseparable since. I'm happy for Andre. She's kind and funny and loves to have a good time just like him.

"Genny babe, I'm gonna grab our drinks you want anything else?"

"A water please. Thank you, beloved." I take the time to pull out my compact and apply my lipstick. Andre smiles over at me and opens his mouth to speak.

"Working on anything these days?"

"Yea, I've been doing a lot of choreography lately. Being on the stage is fun but, the behind the scenes work is my favorite. What about you?" He shrugs.