Chapter 23

Lio had told you everything. That you and him had met when you were 13 years old, that you drew him and so on. He even showed you your first drawing of him you had made. You kinda cringed seeing that drawing because you felt like your style wasn't consistent back then.

But Lio adored that drawing so much.

And so you also understood why was he that angry when you disappeared from him. He was afraid that you might have disappeared again.

He was still scared of you potentially running away from him. After all, he still didn't know why you didn't meet him for the picnic.

And truth is, neither you did. No matter what you did, you never remembered.

Which was a shame, because you felt kinda guilty for it. What you knew though was that something happened to you in order to forget about him. You would have never disappeared from him like that.

Lio was reassured to observe that you didn't run away from him after he told you the truth. And so his anxiety about it quickly flew away, especially after you promised that you wouldn't leave him again, no matter what happens.

You didn't even manage to confess your feelings yet.

In fact, after that kiss, you never managed to kiss again. It was a bit awkward between the two of you. And Lio was probably waiting for you to be ready.

...

One night that you couldn't sleep, you heard footsteps. You peeked from your door and saw him, in his terrorist outfit going outside.

You were curious, and followed him.

You had to take some time to find him. The ruins were big after all. It was curious of him to go out at that hour of the night. Well, not totally true, he kinda was a night owl. Otherwise you wouldn't have met him in that park at night.

You searched through the ruins, and saw a familiar shadow.

He was in a tall point of the ruins. He was sitting while hugging his knees, staring at the stars in the sky.

You reached him.

"Boo" you said, trying to scare him.

He turned around his face, with a smirk on it.

"Good try, but you failed. I heard you coming miles away" he said, still smirking.

You pouted your cheeks as you always do when you fail something. And as expected, he poked them. Is this a new hobby or something?

"May I sit with you?" you asked.

"Why shouldn't you?" he said, offering some place beside him.

You took place and sit right next to him, your shoulders almost touching.

You looked up at the sky. The stars there were surely beautiful. Back in Promepolis you couldn't see them. Too many street lights.

But there, it was beautiful.

Lio looked at you. You were completely lost in that sight.

"You are so beautiful" he thought.

And then, probably because you felt observed, you also slowly looked at him, with a question in mind.

"Hey Lio, do you miss being a Burnish?"

He looked at you, kinda surprised, but he could totally see where that question comes from.

"You're asking me this because even after I became a rescuer I still used my terrorist clothes, right?"

He was right. He still used his terrorist clothes. Sometimes he would just use a white jacket, but most of the time, he had his terrorist clothes on.

"I guess I kinda do miss my times when I was a Burnish" he answered

"Being a Burnish was what I was. When my Promare left I felt like I was a new person, which was obviously true, but at the same time I felt like I lost myself" he continued.

"And how do you feel now?" you then asked.

He waited for a second before he answered you.

He smiled.

"I'm feeling totally better" he said smiling, looking at you. There was light in his eyes.

He was better because of you.

You blushed. But then smiled.

Now that you think about it, you don't have many memories of you being a Burnish. You never really used your flames.

But it felt like you had black outs in your memory.

"Hey, hey, Y/N!" Lio snapped you back to reality.

You were thinking so much that you didn't hear what he said.

"Y-Yeah? What is it Lio?"

"...do you wanna go to a picnic together?"