Chapter 25

More or less 10 years ago.

You returned to your own house. You felt so excited, you considered this picnic something like a date. Your heart fluttered at the thought.

When you entered your own apartment, you were greeted by silence. As always.

Although this apartment used to be property of your parents, when they died your uncle managed it, but he was so busy with work that he couldn't stay with you. So you had to raise yourself, all alone.

This was also why you had no problems going in and out in the night. No one was there to check on you. No one was there to care for you.

But then you met Lio. He was your first friend ever. You were, as many say, the quiet kid in the class. You had no friends at school, and you just used to listen to the teachers, do your homework and draw.

And in the night, you met your friend. You felt like this was a friendship to cheer and to treasure.

And who knows, maybe this friendship would eventually transform in something else.

When you thought about Lio, your heart always used to beat faster than usual. You weren't sure however. Was this love or general happiness for being his friend?

Whatever the case, you were happy when you thought about him.

You entered your room. It was full of sketch practices that portrayed a familiar figure. A green haired figure.

You always had troubles with human anatomy, so you drew him many times with the excuse it was just for practice.

When you only wanted to portray him in your paintings in the moments he made your heart flutter.

However, your painting got interrupted by the voices.

"Ugh, them again..." you said to yourself.

The flames' voices were noisier than usual.

"Burn, burn, burn everything!"

You never listened to them, ever since you became a Burnish. Why would you set on fire everything? Why would you want to accomplish them?

This time it was like a fever. They weren't stopping.

The voices made you even more tired than before. However, you wanted to stay awake to portray Lio once again.

But then, it happened.

"BURN EVERYTHING TO THE GROUND"

Before you could even realise it, you started creating even more powerful flames than the ones you created just for references.

And the worst thing was that you couldn't control yourself. It was like the flames inside you got control of your body and mind.

Scared, you closed your eyes. But when you reopened them, the scenery was even worse than before.

Your drawings were going on fire. On your fire.

"No no no no no!" you exclaimed.

"I won't ignore you anymore, please no, I promise I won't do it anymore! PLEASE, DON'T BURN MY DRAWINGS!" you screamed, crying to the voices in your head.

The whole room was going on fire by then. Luckily flames couldn't do anything to you, but you still needed to get out from there.

But just when you were about to leave your room, a piece of ceiling fell and hit you hardly on your head.

You then fainted, in a dark, dark sleep.

...

When you reopened your eyes, you were in an hospital room.

You looked around yourself, and saw your uncle sitting next to you.

"Y/N! How are you feeling right now?" he asked premurously.

"...uncle?" you asked.

"My dear, what happened? Our neighbors contacted me saying the apartment was going on fire. Do you remember anything?"

...fire?

Did the apartment go on fire?

"...uncle, I don't remember anything" you said. You were about to faint again.

Your uncle had noticed this, and called some doctors.

Before you fainted, you saw a distant image of someone.

Someone with green hair. You couldn't see anything else of his face.

Before he disappeared, he mumbled something you didn't understand because you finally fell asleep.

"I will wait for you here"

When you woke up again, you had totally forgotten everything.

"Y/N, I found some remains of your drawings at home" your uncle said, the day you left the hospital "who is he?" he asked, genuinely curious, showing the remains.

"...who?"

...

You were panting. Lio was holding your shoulders firmly right now.

"Y/N! Y/N, please look at me!"

You observed your surroundings while catching your breath. Where were you? Oh right, the picnic on the hill.

"L-Lio..." you started saying, trembling from the fear and the headache the sudden memory caused you.

"I remembered everything..."

You fainted in his arms.