Chapter 12 : Answers

Taylors Pov

Days after Cleo had confronted Curtis I went back to the Café hoping to see him. I was unsuccessful in finding him. Later, I soon began to realise that I needed to have a job in preparing for college. I was going to go to a local college on the coast so I decided to apply for a job at Rikki's. I didn't tell any of girls because I thought they would be against it.

I walked into the café casually. Zane was behind the counter eyeing me. I glanced at him as I walked in. Walking up to him I gasped. He seemed different, a bit serious. "Do you have any positions available?" I asked, looking around the café. It was decorated differently and had a different vibe about it. The place looked like we were in Hawaii. It had huge flowers and palm leaves everywhere. It wasn't a look I had particularly liked.

Zane looked at me, "We do have a position actually. You could be a waitress. You need to fill out the paper work and do a trial day. Is that okay?"

I smiled, "perfect." I looked at him. "May I have the papers?"

Zane walked toward his office. It had once belonged to him and Rikki. They had been co-bosses. "Come this way." He led me to the office and handed me a stack of paper. "I expected that you would bring one of your friends with you. You know, Rikki?"

I glared at him. _Are you serious?_ I thought. "No," I said, "They're away at college. They're very busy these days."

Zane frowned, "Okay. Please fill out those papers as soon as possible and we'll have a proper job interview tomorrow, if that's okay."

I nodded, "That'll be great. Thank you." I left the office and walked out of the café to my car parked out back. It was hidden behind some palm trees located behind the café.

After I drove home and put the papers in my room, I went to a canal and jumped in to go to the moon pool. I was soon in the ocean. I swam around the reef, feeling free. The warm water rushed past my face as I swam with the schools of fish. My hair flowed around my face; I smiled seeing the reef in its full beauty. I stopped and flipped my tail in the water and rushed into the moon pool.

I surfaced slowly. I gasped, getting air in my lungs. I lay my hands on the centre rock letting my tail sink behind me. Smiling I thought of how lucky I was. I sat at the pool smiling until I noticed someone else in the pool. I glanced around and saw it was the merboy. He was slightly younger than me and had a blue tail.

I looked at him in awe, "Who are you?" I asked, slowly thinking of what Cleo told me.

"I am Curtis. I don't mean to upset you."

I laughed slightly, "It's alright Curtis. I've heard a lot about you. What are you doing here?"

Curtis smiled, awkwardly. "I came here to think things through, you know. I don't know what to do about this mess."

"This mess?" I asked hoping to understand.

"This whole merman, trident thing is such a mess." He explained. "And your friends don't seem to trust me. I wish this accident didn't happen to me. I just want to be normal again."

I glanced at him, "If you don't mind me asking, how did you become a merman. I had no idea it was an accident. That's the way it usually happens doesn't it."

"I don't mind." He continued. "I came here on the island camping with my dad. He does this yearly camping thing on Mako and I couldn't sleep. My dad is a really loud snorer." He paused and laughed. "I walked around the island and came across the whole in the ground. You know the one you fall in when you accidently come across the cave."

I nodded.

He continued, "I investigated and heard a noise like water splashing. I came and saw this pool. The water was bubbling. A shape of water or something pulled me in. It was shaped like a snake. It was crazy." I gasped and he continued, "I was eventually back on the sand. I don't remember anything that happened in the water. I just remember ending up on the sand. I soon awoke and headed back to camp. A sunrise was beginning to happen. I was sure it was all a dream until the next day. That's when I saw my tail."