Chapter 9

Trinity's POV

The little text alert sound went off on my phone. I was just in the middle of a chapter. I set "The Maze Runner" down on my lap and picked up my phone. The text on the lock screen read:

Hey, want to go for a walk?

Guess who it was? Adnan. Who else would be texting me? Part of me wanted to go, but the other half was telling me to stay and get sucked back into the journey of my book. I knew I had to make up what I did at the movies sometime. I sighed and took off my glasses, carefully setting them on my night table. I studied my appearance in the mirror. I was wearing a white graphic tee with black leggings and a blue and black flannel tied around my waist. My hair was thrown up into a messy bun. It was alright.

I put on a pair of black Nike running shoes and grabbed a bottle of water before heading out.

"Mom, dad! I'm going out, be back later!"

I waited for their response, then texted Adnan and left the house. We met near the club that had started this all.

"Hey," he said.
"Hi."
"How are you?"
"Good."
"Anything you'd maybe like to do?"
"No... Not really."
"Um... Want to just walk around, I guess?"
"Sure."

What was wrong with me? I wasn't able to get the words out. It was like he was interviewing me. As if he were the detective and I were the suspect that had gone mute. I had the right to remain silent. But what was I thinking, this wasn't some type of interrogation, it was just a boy and girl hanging out!

"Sorry about that, let's start over," I suggested politely.
"Huh?"
"Hi."
"Hi?" He was confused.
"Let's go do something!"
"Wha-"

I cut him off before he could say anything else by taking his hand and pulling him down the sidewalk. He jogged alongside me. We didn't really know where we were going, but who cared.

I abruptly stopped, making Adnan a few steps ahead of me. He trailed backwards.

"See something?"

I was looking through the window of a store and I saw this lady eating a sandwich. I don't know, I just got really hungry all of a sudden. I could feel the saliva building up, my mouth watered. It made me remember that I had skipped breakfast and hadn't had anything to eat all day. All day! Man, I was starving. I guess I just got too caught up in my book.

"I'm hungry," I announced.
"What do you want to eat?"
"I don't know."
He shook his head and hid his smile. He repeated, "What do you want to eat?!"

He was trying to act frustrated and serious, but I could tell that he was ready to burst and at any second, he'd crack a smile. I tried my best to play along.

"It's not that simple..."

It was then when the two of started laughing. People glared at us for causing so much noise, oh well. His shoulders bounced up and down when he laughed. He smiled widely which made him squint his eyes. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down with each laugh. Adnan had a cute laugh- wait what?!

I kind of felt a little embarrassed because I was laughing so hard. I was wheezing and gasping for air. I was bent over and clutching my stomach. I had the weirdest laugh and I just hoped he didn't point it out.

A few moments later, ater we were done our laughing fit, I said, "Alright. Why don't you pick?"
"Sure, I was going to see what you wanted, but since you don't know, I'll choose. Just promise me no more laugh attacks," he was still trying to catch his breath.
"I'm not going to make a promise that I can't keep."
"You have a great laugh," he complimented.
"Really? My laugh?!"
"Yeah," he grinned at me,
"Well, yours is cute too."