Chapter 19

Trinity's POV

It felt like his eyes were burning into the back of my skull. I don't know, it felt like he had X-ray vision and could see right through all of my lies. I wouldn't know what to do if he confronted me.

I took a deep, unsteady breath, "Adnan..."

He wasn't saying much, but instead, he climbed further on top of the table and his lips almost touched mine. I felt his breath and I'm sure he felt mine. His hand slid across my cheek as he came closer to kiss me. I put my hand on his chest and tilted my head away.

"No, Adnan..." I whispered.

I looked him in the eye and he didn't break our eye contact. He just turned my head back to face him. He tried again and this time, I tightly gripped the fabric of his shirt. I stopped him from coming any closer.

"I'm sorry..."

I grabbed my jacket and hurried out of Nando's. I didn't want to look back, but for some reason I did. I could see the hurt and sadness in his eyes and then he turned away, still sitting there. I pushed open the door and ran down the streets.

Savannah's POV

I was almost ready to sneak out when the door opens and whacks me in the face.

"Ouch!" I yell in pain, clenching just above my right eye.

Trinity is standing in front of me and doesn't look too happy. What's her deal, I didn't even know she went out. My mom comes running over in a split second and is all concerned. I'm fine, it's just that my plans have pretty much been spoiled.

"Girls, what happened?" She gasped when she saw me, "Savannah are you ok?"
"Fine!" I said making sure it was obvious that I was annoyed.
"What are you wearing?!"

I had on a black strapless top and tucked it into my coral pencil skirt. Both fit tightly and snug around me and were comfortable. I wore a pair of black stilettos.

"What's wrong with my outfit..."
"Go take it off, now!"
"Mom-"
"Now! Then come back downstairs and I'll put an ice pack on your face."

I stomped up the stairs and heard my mom speak to Trinity.

"When did you get back?" she sounded sweeter when she talked to Trinity than she did when she was speaking to me.
"Now, I'm going upstairs."
"Is everything alright?"
She stuttered, "Uh- yeah, it's great."

I stood at the top of the stairs and soon enough Trinity was in front of me again.

"Eavesdropper!" She confronted me.
"Not my problem you don't know how to whisper."
"Get out of my fucking way," she shoved me aside.
"Calm yourself!"

Trinity didn't usually swear unless she was really stressed or upset, so I knew something was up. Who cared though. I had enough of my own problems and didn't need to be dealing with whatever was troubling her.

Great, now my night was ruined. I was just going to go meet Lesley and go out. My parents don't like me going out and all, but what else do I have to do? No one pays any attention to me at home, so I dress up and go out with people who'll actually want to talk with me. Have a few drinks, love life like it's my last day. It's as simple as that. Maybe if I had been shown a little more love, then maybe I'd be a different person. Of course that's never going to happen with a Trinity being the preferred child. It didn't really matter though, I didn't want to be a person like Trinity. She had nothing going with her, no friends, no life. She was living for nothing. At least my life had a purpose. I go out with friends, have a good time, laugh, make them laugh, make them happy.

I changed into a different outfit. Ripped jean shorts and a white cropped tank top. I kicked off my shoes and left them in the floor of my room. I stumbled down the stairs as I was starting to feel a little dizzy. I plopped myself onto the couch and waited for my mom to come.

"Oh, Savannah, there's a bump now..."
"Wonderful," I said sarcastically.
"Leave the ice on and it'll make it go down a bit. We'll see how it is in the morning."
"Hmm, ok..."

I dozed off on the couch.

*****

There was this agonizing feeling in my head. I lightly placed a hand on my forehead, then quickly pulled back. Touching in that area made the pain worse. I got up, nearly fell; the room was spinning. I wobbled to the washroom. In the reflection in the mirror, I saw that my rot eye was half swollen shut and was mostly a dark colour. Great, Trinity gave me a black eye. I couldn't remember much from the night before except wanting to go out and having Trinity bash my head with the door. She didn't even get in trouble! Now, if I did that... I'd be ground for at least a week for hurting their precious one... Ridiculous.

I checked my phone that lay on the small table beside the couch. I had a few missed calls from Lesley and Josh, the guy I was currently dating. I didn't even really like him. I was going to break up wit him last night, but never really had the chance... I texted him first, then called Lesley. The phone rang a bit, until she finally picked up.

"Hello?" Her voice was faint.
"Hey, it's Savannah."
"Hi! Where were you last night?!"
"Trinity hit me in the head with the door... My mom didn't let me go out and I got caught trying."
"That sucks, Josh was looking for you!"
"Well, I just dumped him."
"What?!"
"Yeah, through a text."
"Ouch..."
"Doesn't matter, he was a douche anyways."
"Oh ok, we'll go out and find you another man soon."
"Whatever you say..."

I wasn't too sure of her ideas. I wasn't really looking to date, but she insisted, so I followed. She told me it'd make me a happier person. People judge and think I'm some miserable, irresponsible, troublemaker, but I'm just misunderstood. I just want to have a good time. I was happy for the most part... Maybe depressed sometimes, then jealous. After all, Lesley was my best friend, so I'd hear whatever she had to say. If she thinks I should go out and get a boyfriend, then maybe I should because she knows what'd be best for me. She's a better sister than Trinity ever was. All Trinity does is embarrass me and make me look like a fool. She has to be better at everything.

"Oh!" Lesley screamed through the phone, piercing my ears and making me pull the phone farther away from my ear, "Ethan and I are together!"
"Really, that's great..."
"Come on, be happy for me."
"I've already told you, I don't think he's that good of a guy."
"He's the best," she protested.
"I just don't want you getting hurt, Lesley..."
"I won't, I'm fine."
"Ok."
"Thank you," she sighed.
"Talk to you later, I'm going to get breakfast."
"See you, I love you."
"Love you, bye."

I walked to the kitchen and popped a piece of toast into the toaster. In the meantime, I went upstairs to my room and the washroom and got myself fixed up. I wore lime green Nike workout shorts and a black tank top. I brushed through my tangled reddish-brown hair and tied it back into a high ponytail. I could really put makeup on which was a real bummer because I looked hideous without makeup. I left my eye as it was and returned downstairs.

My mom was in the kitchen and had put my breakfast on a plate, "Savannah, how are you?"
She sounded concerned when she asked, "Fine."
"Oh, your eye."
"Mom, it's fine."
She came closer and inspected my injury, "No... Your eye-"
"I know! You don't need to keep reminding me!" I snapped, "I know I look ugly!"
"Savannah, you are beautiful."

I didn't say something in return. I just took the plate from her hands and sat down at the table. Trinity came into the room several minutes later. I turned my head in the other direction. I didn't want to look at her. I grit my teeth and stayed silent. She talked to my mom as if nothing had happened last night. I just ate my breakfast and tuned them out, like I usually did. It was going to be another day for me. Another day alone, another day being ignored, another day misunderstood.