Real World

Gold On the Ceiling- The Black Keys

This music.

This music is the type of music that sinks into the surrounding noise and for a second, you forget that life doesn't really have a soundtrack.

It makes you think you're living in a movie and that's just the way it is and maybe, just maybe, everything will turn out alright.

That was this music.

And then the song changed. Back to the real world.

Taking the time to change songs exposed my hands again and I quickly shoved them back into my pockets.

"Did you bring any gloves, Henley?" I asked handing her back her headphones.

"No, I never need them. Not everyone is special like you, Wren," she answered laughingly.

"Gosh, you know. I just can't get over how exorbitantly hilarious you are. C'mon we need to get off here," I said as I started to make my way to the front of the trolley. We watched as the car carefully slowed to a stop and thanked the conductor as we hopped off onto the busy street running through the Warf.

Even though it was only early fall, it already felt like mid-winter on the bay. Basically, it always felt like mid-winter here. Regardless, the boardwalk and Warf were no less packed as usual and we were stuck amongst the tourists once again. We slowly make our way past all of the shops, occasionally sauntering through one that we'd already been through a hundred times.

"Would you please stop rushing?" I started to say to Henley, whose anxiety was starting to get the best of her. "It's my birthday remember," in a mocking tone.

"I just don't want the guys to be waiting for us," she said. "It's freezing outside and they wanted to wait to reserve a table until we got there."

"Relax," I glanced down at my phone to check the time and noticed a missed call from Oliver. "Hold on a sec,"

My phone rang only one time before he answered.

"Why hello, miss Wren Irene Matson. What a pleasant surprise to have received your call," he said with a charming ring.

"Is it my brother dearest, Mister Oliver Jake Matson? What is of the fine occasion?" I asked in a playful voice.

"Well it seems that I have two other gentlemen here awaiting yours and a Miss Henley Janders company. I have been informed, as your most responsible older brother, that in order to spend time with my lovely, newly 17 year old sister I must attend a lunch at the fine Boudin's in San Francisco." He said pleasantly.

"Sounds about right. I will see you in 6 minutes." and I hung up. I turned back around and faced Henley.

"Our princes await," I said under my breath as we hurried off down the sidewalk with smiles burning across our faces.

hello, reader! just a heads up, the bold words at the beginning of each chapter is the song that I chose to represent the overall vibe of the chapter. I find it fun to listen to when I'm actually reading each chapter, but I know it's kind of a hassle, so do or don't. It's just for fun :)//