Sister Sister

I Miss You- Blink-182

As soon as my arms were around his shoulders he was lifting me off the ground and it was like I hadn't felt his embrace in decades.

He smelled like boy and radiated warmth through every pore in his body. I crane my neck back a bit to look into his dark eyes and am met with a soft kiss to the cheek. My lips exploded into that smile that reached the tips of my toes and set my chest on fire. He set me down and grabbed for my hands, still standing directly in front of me.

"Happy Birthday, Wren," he marveled through a shivering thousand watt grin. "Jeez, your hands are freezing!" he exclaimed placing both my hands between his, warming them generously.

"So I've been told," I replied as I turned my head to meet my brother's eyes. I unlace my fingers from Monroe's and lunge toward Oliver.

"I've missed you," he whispers in my ear. "Sister Sister."

I separate from him and flash him a warm smile. I haven't been able to do that in a while. I glance over in Henley's direction and find her caught in an engaging conversation with Stiles.

It hadn't quite hit me how disconnected I've been this year until now. It felt so good seeing all of them again.

We walk into the luxurious lobby of the restaurant and are led to a tall round cedar table on the second floor with 5 chairs surrounding it. Oliver pulls a chair out for me and then takes a seat in his own, opposite of Monroe on either side of me. Henley and Stiles are across from us and are giggling as they settle in their chairs.

No one would really tell you the disadvantages of transferring schools across the world if you asked them. I felt like I wasn't really deserving of being a part of the conversation most of the time because I wasn't around to be a part of what actually happened. Sometimes they would stop and include me on purpose, just so that I wasn't so quiet. And occasionally I would make eyes with Henley from across the table, or play with Monroe's fingers on the table top, but it was easier to listen than anything else. I assume this will be the way when I'm around.

We start down the Warf around three and the sun has already begun to set slightly to the west. That's another thing I deeply miss after moving to Auss; watching the sun set into the Pacific Ocean. The way the neon colors bounce off of the reflection of the ocean in the west is completely different from the way the pastel colors light up the sky above the bay in the South.

I decided that we'd better not stay in the city much longer because I was flying back the following afternoon and still needed to visit with family. We jumped onto the next ferry and were taken back to Vallejo in less than an hour. Henley and I drove Monroe's car and the guys rode in Oliver's car back to our house where my mom was making dinner. When we arrived, the front of the house was already hinted with an assortment of Christmas decorations.

I was the last to walk in to my own house and was still bombarded with people. Had they seriously planned a party? I make my way to the kitchen as quickly as my relatives would allow and tap my mom on the shoulder.

"Delivery for Miss Angela Matson," I said as I reverently stepped into her arms. I was holding back quiet tears which made me more desperate for her love.

She was breathily laughing into my ear and I thought I heard sniffles in there too. "I missed you so much, Wren."

"I missed you too, Mom," I said as I began to take a step back to look at her. She seemed thinner and hollowed out which worried me. After I left, there's been no one around to stay with her. She's been through too much already and can't handle anything else, as much as she wants to think otherwise. She halfway turns around t0 continue to stir what looks like soup and keeps her gaze fixed on me.

"How is it?" she finally asks. I knew it was coming but still had not come up with an answer.

"It's wonderful," I say only halfway enthusiastically. "There are some downsides, but I'm adjusting fine." I was trying hard to hide my hint of an accent.

She looks almost sad now. "I'm glad, honey." she musters.

I gathered that that was the end of the conversation and gently squeezed her hand as I slipped out of the kitchen to mingle with some of the other bodies.

---So how is everyone liking it so far?? okay cool. glad to know all zero of you agree. MORE IS COMING